Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ P01 basepads

shel6977

I’ve done some searching on here and unless I missed it, not seeing the info I’m looking for.  I’m trying to find aluminum basepads for a P01 for carry usage.  It seems that the stock magazines are 14 round in 9mm and impossible to find.  Mec-Gar’s standard CZ-75 compact mag is a 15 rounder and the places I have looked specifically call out they don’t work in the 15 round mags or if the fit, they have a gap.  Closest I have seen pictures of is a CZC one but it doesn’t follow the contour of the grip and looks rather odd.  The compact 15 rounder with blue follower is the mag that seems available everywhere but I can’t seem to find a basepad that would work with this and be flush at the grip.  

I’ve looked at Springer, Armory Craft, CZC, shock bottle, etc but it seems there aren’t many choices in the compact magazine lines.  Maybe everyone likes the factory rubber pads, I do not.  Anyway, didn’t know if anyone has gone through this or if any IDPA folks shoot a P01 and use base pads or know of a combo that will work.  Thanks.

I forgot about Henning.  I’ll try to see if they have anything the might work.  I haven’t ordered any of the mec gar 15’s yet.  I tried a springer precision 17 base pad from my shadow on the 14 round factory magazine and it wouldn’t lock in as the base pad is too long which isn’t too surprising.  I might order some 15’s and just hope for the best, just thought I’d ask if anyone has run into this.

I've got the regular and taller pro Henning basepads for the 17s.  When installed on a 15 round tube in a P01, Pro's have .075" gap, and standard have .140".   Both of these have a lot of meat below the tube also, so maybe not the best if your talking about a carry gun or have to fit in a box.

What I did is to get the Henning 18rnd basepads and mill them down for 15rnd tubes in a P01.  I had to swap out the original plastic basepad retainer for a metal version to get it to work.  They don't follow the profile of the grip like you're after.  But I like the low-profile feel and similarity to my Production gun.

BTW, when I placed an order for  compact grips and 18rnd basepads, somebody noticed that these usually don't go together and Henning called me to confirm. Very impressed with that.  I told him what I was up to and asked about P01 pads.  It sounded like its on their radar, but one of those things they haven't got around to yet & there wasn't much demand.

Anyway, it was lots of monkey motion for sure, but I like the results. 

p01 resizedM.jpg

Edited by Bean

5 hours ago, Bean said:

I've got the regular and taller pro Henning basepads for the 17s.  When installed on a 15 round tube in a P01, Pro's have .075" gap, and standard have .140".   Both of these have a lot of meat below the tube also, so maybe not the best if your talking about a carry gun or have to fit in a box.

What I did is to get the Henning 18rnd basepads and mill them down for 15rnd tubes in a P01.  I had to swap out the original plastic basepad retainer for a metal version to get it to work.  They don't follow the profile of the grip like you're after.  But I like the low-profile feel and similarity to my Production gun.

BTW, when I placed an order for  compact grips and 18rnd basepads, somebody noticed that these usually don't go together and Henning called me to confirm. Very impressed with that.  I told him what I was up to and asked about P01 pads.  It sounded like its on their radar, but one of those things they haven't got around to yet & there wasn't much demand.

Anyway, it was lots of monkey motion for sure, but I like the results. 

p01 resizedM.jpg

I think this might be where I end up.  Either something that doesn’t follow the contour, more square.  I may just have to get bigger ones and milling them down as I do have access to a vertical mill.  Thanks for the reply.

4 hours ago, vtecpaoche said:

I have the Mecgars on mine with the stock basepad.  The gap is .05 of an inch.  I'm not sure if that bothers you.

IMG_5026.jpg

The gap doesn’t bother me too much just kind of used to metal pads until I’m finding what I want isn’t very easy to come by.  Thanks for the reply.

Here is another option.

The full size 16 round with the base pad off the 18 round is a nice fit, and gives you an extra round :) 

Here is a comparison of the 15, 16, 17 and 18 round mags and then the fitment with the 16 round and the 18 base pad.

IMG_2935.JPG.23f10fec87f90ef2b01f68474be40180.JPGIMG_2934.JPG.60e2c762821c2e1ff15114969d01ea40.JPGIMG_2932.JPG.74a5bdf9c97b43f816302b06a48e27c9.JPGIMG_2933.JPG.3353b6f66b965fd95f3688075a0bf02a.JPGIMG_2930.JPG.e9aab6fc51585d4700455eb29566b793.JPG