Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sdb -- Upstroke Sticking?

Hi folks - noticing something recently, with my Dillon Square Deal, loading 9mm....

On the upstroke, approximately 1/3 of the way up, there's a noticeable "sticking". If I work the handle up quickly, the momentum is such that it's slight, but there's still a hitch.

Does anyone know off the top of their head what might be causing this, or is out of adjustment? I don't think it's from the powder assembly, and it "feels" as if it's coming from the primer assembly, or the somewhere else in the guts of the press. I realize this is vague. :(

Thx

If you are encountering resistance in lifting up the handle, there are two probable causes.

First, if it occurs just when the shellplate begins to rotate, then the bottom of the index lever needs to be greased. With the handle down, use a flat blade screwdriver to smear grease on the angled lower surface of the index lever. It can be reached through a slot in the right side of the square shaft, towards the back.

If this doesn't correct the problem, then detach the primer feed from the front of the machine, and see if the resistance goes away. If so, then it is likely the bearing around the primer slide. :ph34r:

If you mean you only feel this while loading, check and see if you are feeling the case being pulled off of the expander die. There are some brands of cases that I don't like to load because they stick.

If you mean you only feel this while loading, check and see if you are feeling the case being pulled off of the expander die. There are some brands of cases that I don't like to load because they stick.

Dillon -- thx for the tips. I added some grease, but neither the indexing lever nor the primer system are the problem, it turns out. The sticking appears to only happen when the powder measure is installed. Without it in place, I primed about 20 cases, perfectly smoothly....

JD45 -- you might be right!! The sticking does seem to coincide with the case coming off the powder die. It would also explain why it happens sporadically. I wonder why it's only really noticeable with 9mm? Maybe I'll really back off on the bell? The sensation is annoying, but worse, the slight jerk when the handle comes free, causes some powder to be thrown from the case when it moves to station 3.

This is rather common if you are loading new brass, and can be encountered with brass that is chemically cleaned. New brass is run through a final rinse in solvent, leaving the case free of any lube. After firing, the carbon from the powder ignition is sufficient to greatly reduce this sticking. :ph34r:

This is rather common if you are loading new brass, and can be encountered with brass that is chemically cleaned. New brass is run through a final rinse in solvent, leaving the case free of any lube. After firing, the carbon from the powder ignition is sufficient to greatly reduce this sticking. :ph34r:

I encounter this problem with new brass as well (40) liberal application of one shot all but does away with this problem for me.

Don't worry about the "bell" setting. I think that some cases are just so thick the straight section of the expander is just going to feel sticky. You will probably find that several brands of brass will never do this. Some always will.

I'll second what Brian said, One-shot will cure anything short of A-Merc .45 brass.

Edited by JD45