Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Slugs For The Browning Gold

ap3

I did not see any comments in the "slug" section of this forum that discussed what slugs worked consistently in the Browning Gold. I have been using the Remington reduced recoil or managed recoil with periodic failures. I don't want to get beat up shooting slugs, but I really would like to not have to hand cycle rounds occasionally.

Any thoughts?

I have the same shotgun as you, built in the same factory as yours. Mine is marked Winchester Super X2 but the parts are interchangeable (except for the speedfeed). Chokes are Browning Invector, NOT the Invector Plus like th manual says. Gold/X2 are the same gun.

At first, mine would not run the Remingtons but after 2 years of use, its about 100% w/ those reduced recoil slugs. I assume you know the trick about locking the action open for 1 to 4 weeks to get the recoil spring to set.

I have also had good luck with the Federal Reduced recoil slugs. You can run the S&B but they kick like hell and are too long to get the required 9 rounds in the gun.

As for buckshot, the Browning Super X2 will not run the Fiochi reduced recoil buckshot; Remington works fine.

My Winchester will NOT run Winchester made slug ammo, even today. Never use winchester ammo in your Winchester shotgun; it just will not work (seems kinda like something they would fix, doesn't it?).

Good stuff Carlos

I have had my Gold for a couple of years, hence my frustration with the Remington slugs. I'll give the Federal reduced recoil slugs a try. Any particular type?

I agree about the Winchester ammo. I have bad memories of the them.

Federal has two types of low recoil slug available. The Tactical ones are in a white box and give me 1250ish over a chrono with a 26" bbl.

They also make a slug called Managed Recoil and it's in a red & green colored box. These are rated at 1300 fps and give me close to that in my 26er (1275-1290).

The Remington and WW managed recoil slugs are known to be wimpier that the Federal offerings.

--

Regards,

Albert-

The Rem reduced recoil slugs should NOT be a problem for your gun. Are you pulling it in tight when you squeeze one off? Never the less, if you want to go light, a Light clays piston for your gun will run anything. Do NOT lock the action back, remember the action spring must overide the magazine spring with rounds in it. If you get back this way for anything, I will do some PMS for ya.

JL

Thanks Jerry,

I placed my post here instead of emailing you directly in case anybody else could use the info. We missed you at the Kentucky State 3 gun match. I should have swung by then.

I have been wanting to experiment with a Clay piston for my shotgun. Any idea what the product number is? I am assuming I should order it from Browning directly. I have been pulling the gun in tight as I thought this might be the problem as well. The occurrence is very intermittment.

Your the Gold man, so let me know what you think.

I too have never had any failures with S&B slugs that were attributed to the slugs. I've had failures to feed when burning a large amount of ammo with very dirty powders and a large volume of them but never with a semi-clean to moderately dirty gun.

I shoot the 28" Gold Hunter model with a 3" chamber and the Wolff +20% recoil spring.

Vince

Please post it. I understand that the newer X2 actually come right from the factory with 2 different pistons. When I bought mine in 2002, there was no such part included.

What does the lighter piston cost?

As for the Federals, the ones I have used successfully fit this description:

"They also make a slug called Managed Recoil and it's in a red & green colored box. These are rated at 1300 fps and give me close to that in my 26er (1275-1290)."

Jerry, your the best!!!

Thanks for the trouble of getting the product number.

As a side note to everybogy if you ever need work on your Browning Gold, nobody including Briley is as good at making a Browning Gold or Winchester run like Jerry. He is at http://www.rockinhtactical.com/

You might say he is good as/at Gold.

Albert