Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduced Glock 19 loads?

TANFARM

Anyone have any suggestions for a reduced load for a GLOCK 19 using Precision Delta 124 HP and N320 powder?

Trying to reduce recoil for a small framed shooter without compromising effect for defensive rounds.

Thanks!

Stock recoil spring?  VV website shows starting loads for various FMJ 124 FMJ/HP between like 3.2 to 3.9.  My experience with pistols is that around 3.9 makes a reliable USPSA minor.

With the stock recoil spring, I'd think you would need to be in the USPSA minor range to have the pistol cycle reliably.  Small frame shooters, in my experience, seem to not have the wrist strength to allow very light loads to cycle.  You'll probably need to load 10 rounds each within a range and test.  Also consider a Jager rod where you can use a 13# recoil spring.

For defense, this is not the best way to go.  But I'd start here and see if your shooter can handle the light loads with comfort first.

Edited by sdrr72

^  this.

I've seen new shooters having trouble with a Glock not functioning right, with factory loads.

Apparently, the lightweight frame requires a somewhat proper grip. The shooter needs to provide some inertia to allow adequate cycling of the slide. So... I'd pay attention to a good high grip and holding the pistol firmly. You don't need a big and strong person for that. Just gripping the pistol right.