Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching From Limited To Open

Genghis

I started shooting in Limited class in February, and I'm C-class. I just got an Open gun and I want to see how the other half lives. I think I have the equipment issues covered, so I am mostly interested in training and technique.

My question is, what can I do to develop the different skills needed to compete in Open class? I've read other posts where shooters said shooting Open made them better Limited shooters. I know I'll have to practice draws so the gun stops with the dot in view and on target, and this should improve my index with any gun. I know a good Open gun allows an experienced shooter to speed up, and I'd like to get a jump on this. Any insight into this new endeavor would be appreciated.

Depending on whether or not you shoot with both eyes open during limited will be a consideration. You'll want to use both eyes in open to be most efficient. This might be a little wierd at first if you're not used to it.

You're right about a new index, but it looks like you've already thought about that.

Your hand positions will not necessarily change but where and how much grip pressure you use will change. There will be less torque on the gun so you can relax on the side to side pressure. The comp will help so front to back pressure can be less. You'll probably find the tighter you grip the gun, the more the dot will "wiggle." Finding your balance may take some practice.

Oh yeah, one more and the most important thing ...

Welcome to the Dark Side! B)

I hope you have better luck than I'm having. I've pretty much decided to wait til the end of this season and just start shooting exclusively open for a while to develop those skills. It doesn't seem like something I'll be able to go back and forth on.

Genghis,

The biggest thing IMHO is basically looking "through" the gun at the target and seeing the red dot on the target. If you see the red dot you pull the trigger. It is different, because in Limited you focus on the front sight, and in Open you focus on the target.

I personally shoot Open with only one eye open, but will probably try to learn to shoot with both eyes open at some point.

BigLucky, maybe my weakness in Ltd will become my strength in Open! I find myself looking at the target a lot, even though I know how you're s'posed to do it.

Buying a Benny Hill gun that was listed on this forum. Thanks for the advice - this should help.

If you get bored try this little routine. Cover the the front of the C'More with a piece of tape (on the housing) or a piece of cardboard. Essentially, you can't see through the sight, but you can see the dot on the background. Now look at the target with both eyes open. If you have a strong target focus, you will see the dot superimposed on the target just plain as day. Now do some transitions on multiple targets. The minute you pull your vision back to the dot, the target will vanish.