Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib or light strikes?

Stafford

As I’ve mentioned in other threads this week, I just switched out my Shadow 2’s hammer spring for an 11.5lb from CGW along with the extended firing pin. I tried it out with different factory ammo earlier this week including 100 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass. All fired with no issues.

Today I shot a match and took 124gr Blazer to shoot. Twice I had “squib like” occurrences, both deep into stages. Both times, I pulled the trigger, heard the tell tale pssst sound, followed by the RO telling me to stop. Both times there were no rounds lodged in the chamber. The guys in my squad believed it to be a squib that exited the barrel in both instances. The consensus was that ammo companies are cranking out ammo so fast that quality control is down.

My concern was that it could have been a light strike that didn’t ignite the primer enough to fire the round completely. However, light primers usually go click. And squibs go click...pssst. 

Based on this info, does it sound like a squib that exited?

2 hours ago, Stafford said:

My concern was that it could have been a light strike that didn’t ignite the primer enough to fire the round completely.

This isn't a concern.  The occurrences you described are in no way related to a lite strike.  That's not how it works.

13 minutes ago, BJB said:

This isn't a concern.  The occurrences you described are in no way related to a lite strike.  That's not how it works.

That’s kind of what I thought as well. But, I’m still fairly new to shooting as a whole and the type of malfunctions that can occur. I have had 2 squibs where the bullet was stuck in the chamber previously. Never had one that exited the barrel.

If it exited the barrel it wasn't a squib. 

It could have been under charged or the powder didn't fully ignite (d/t contamination, etc.) but since it exited the barrel it wasn't a squib. 

It's likely just as you surmised, poor QC d/t the pressures currently on the ammo companies. 

I wouldn't worry about it. Blazer is generally good-to-go. To be safe simply keep that lot number for practice if you can.

10 hours ago, Stafford said:

That’s kind of what I thought as well. But, I’m still fairly new to shooting as a whole and the type of malfunctions that can occur. I have had 2 squibs where the bullet was stuck in the chamber previously. Never had one that exited the barrel.

The priming mixture is ultra flammable.  If the firing pin sets off even the slightest bit of it, ALL of it will go off in what I think are micro seconds.

I'm pretty sure primers are binary: they either don't light off at all or they burn completely instantly.

Your problem here isn't your ignition system.

22 hours ago, Stafford said:

As I’ve mentioned in other threads this week, I just switched out my Shadow 2’s hammer spring for an 11.5lb from CGW along with the extended firing pin. I tried it out with different factory ammo earlier this week including 100 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass. All fired with no issues.

Today I shot a match and took 124gr Blazer to shoot. Twice I had “squib like” occurrences, both deep into stages. Both times, I pulled the trigger, heard the tell tale pssst sound, followed by the RO telling me to stop. Both times there were no rounds lodged in the chamber. The guys in my squad believed it to be a squib that exited the barrel in both instances. The consensus was that ammo companies are cranking out ammo so fast that quality control is down.

My concern was that it could have been a light strike that didn’t ignite the primer enough to fire the round completely. However, light primers usually go click. And squibs go click...pssst. 

Based on this info, does it sound like a squib that exited?

Agree with other posts regarding not a light strike issue. Squib can exit barrel but that is  rare. The sound difference is also a good indicator. Squids that stay in barrel sound the same as those that don’t. Had both. Squibs in my production pistol and didn’t leave barrel. One in SS .45 ACP using 200 gr SWC which did. And observed 2 as RO. — on a 40/.45 the other a 9. 

Agree most likely ammo issue. My concern if ammo and light loads, is some powders, if not all, can detonate with light loads. The load just has to get light enough. That usually results in damaged pistol and possible shooter/by stand injuries. Just depends. 

Don’t know what advice on remaining ammo. If you shoot it, your the one assuming the risk. 

As a PS,  how many hits in the target where the issues occurred. Right number of hits for the shots taken or short. Any sign of a bullet striking target but not passing through?