Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

270 Vs. 270 Wsm

minnesota1

I am looking at getting another rifle. My brother n law has a 270 and I really like it. I've been looking around and the 270 short mag sure has some marked improvements over the 270. As far as I can tell it seems to mirror the performance of the 270 weatherby. My questions are these: Does the 270WSM recoil more or less than the 270 winchester? I think I've heard both ways but if any of you have had experience with this I would love to hear about it. Also, I grouped by brother-n-laws Browning A-bolt and I shot a 3 shot-100 yard group of 1/2" with 130 gr. corelock bullets! :huh: Yes, his rifle is a keeper. Although he looks at the group like that's the way all rifles shoot! :o Anyway, I hear the 270 is a very accurate round but what's been said or your experience with the accuracy of the 270 WSM? Also, have you heard any downsides to the round?

Thanks,

Bob

I am running a Remington in .270 as my MOR rifle. The cartridge does great at distance with the SMK 135 going downrange at just over 2800fps. It does however have a serious drawback in the length of bolt throw for the long-a$$ .270 cartridge. The cheekweld needed for fast bolt manipulation while staying on the scope is a real PITA. The WSM is gonna be better there fer' sure, but the .308 may be a better choice in short action because of the assortment of match grade ammo availabe in the commercial offerings ;-)

I like the .270 as a LD cartridge, but only chose it because I had one already. If I were to start over with a clean slate, I would choose a 6mm variant for MOR over any .270 variant.

--

Regards,

If you are not going to handload, factory .270WSM ammo will outrun the downloaded stuff they sell for the .270Win.. In a factory rifle, who knows which one will be a tack-driver.

As far as recoil goes, if you compare identical rifles and stocks, the new WSM is going to kick more because it burns more powder and pushes bullets a little faster. However, the difference between these two rounds is so small recoil isn't an issue. Maybe noise, but not recoil.

If you buy a WSM, please let us know how well it feeds from the mag., slow or fast. Regardless of who made it, if it won't feed it's junk.

• 2 months later...

If you're thinking of competing AND hunting consider getting it in either 280 (which is 270 necked up to 7mm) or 7mm WSM. The selection of match grade bullets is MUCH better than 270, and the BC's are generally higher too. The hornady 162 gr A-MAX and the Berger 168 gr VLD are great bullets.

atek3

And 7WSM performance should be equal to 7RM performance.

It's not much smaller like 300WSM vs 300WM.

For MOR, a 10+ capacity magazine is critical IMO. That almost certainly locks you into something based off the 308 case.

Edited by Zak Smith