Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sass Type Shooting

folsoml

I did a search, but could not find what I was looking for. Does anyone here do any SASS type shooting? What kind of gear do you need for that?

You will need a minimum of two revolvers and leather to start. After that you can add a rifle, shotgun and if you want a long rifle.

You can shoot black powder cartride, smokeless or black powder with lead ball in your pistol depending on what class you want to get involved in.

For more info check out their web site at http://www.sassnet.com/

I did a search, but could not find what I was looking for. Does anyone here do any SASS type shooting? What kind of gear do you need for that?

You will need a minimum of two revolvers and leather to start. After that you can add a rifle, shotgun and if you want a long rifle.

You can shoot black powder cartride, smokeless or black powder with lead ball in your pistol depending on what class you want to get involved in.

For more info check out their web site at http://www.sassnet.com/

Cool. Thanks. I probably won't do it knowing I need two revolvers. I just bought one with leather, but don't want to spend a lot of money on another type of shooting.

Well, responses here are right and wrong.

SASS is a four gun sport. You will need two single action revolvers, a lever action pistol caliber rifle, and a shotgun. The shotgun must be either SxS without ejectors, a hammered pump action (Win 97) or a hammered lever action (Win 87). You will need a belt, holsters, and somewhere to carry shotgun shells. Borrowing guns is very normal among new shooters. I knew 4 guys who went in together. They each bought 1 gun and played for a long time as they saved up to buy more. .38 Special is best if you are not goin to reload. If you contact the president of the local club, they probably know shooters with spare guns to loan. I almost always carried an extra pair of revolvers.

The dress code is so very badly over whined about, much like "equipment races". You probably have everything you need. You will need a long sleeve shirt, pants, boots, and a hat. Regular everyday blue jeans work fine. For boots, most leather lace up work boots are correct to the period. As for a hat, well you will see $500 cowboy hats and $5 cowboy hats, just not a ball cap. And you can spend lots of money on clothes, you just don't have to.

I just gave up SASS to shoot USPSA for 2005, but I do have a 1st Place Frontier Cartridge NC State Championship 2004 and a 2nd Place Frontier Cartridge NC State Championship 2003 trophy sitting on the shelf.