Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Misinformed Ups Employee

Clint U66

I went to the local UPS store today to ship two Magazine Tubes and was told that since they were a "gun related item" I would have to ship them overnight. These were only tubes, no springs, no followers, or basebads. How crazy is that!!! Has anyone else ran into a problem like this before? For the record, I have used this same location many times before and have never had a problem. The guy that I was dealing with is a new employee but the manager backed him up and said that he's right, anything that is "shooting related" be it handgun, long gun, bb gun, or even paintball gun accesories cannot be shipped ground. WTF!! :angry::angry::angry: Clint

I have always packed my things and had them ready to ship before I go to the store but today I was in a rush and just carried the mags in and asked for a box. Now I feel like if I go back those guys are gonna automatically suspect that I am shipping something that according to them "I'm not suppose to". Oh well, at least there's a Fed Ex about a mile past UPS. :D Clint

You can always have them call the support lines for clarification, especialy if you jknow you're roight. Only a handgun needs go by air. If they refuse, give us a call and let us know about it. We tend to take a dim view of sites hurting our business.

(Tech Support for UPS)

Prior to the buyout of Mailboxes Etc. by the "UPS Store", such places would not accept firearms for shipment - you had to go to the UPS depot. Part of the reason was the "shipping acceptance stores" did not clearly have "common carrier" status, which is what allows shippers to knowingly and legally posess regulated items without the otherwise necessary licenses or paperwork (for example, narcotics shipments, class III weapons shipments, and shipments of firearms in states where mere posession requires a license).

Does anyone on this list know if the change the "UPS Store" from "Mailboxes Etc." has changed this?

Prior to the buyout of Mailboxes Etc. by the "UPS Store", such places would not accept firearms for shipment - you had to go to the UPS depot. Part of the reason was the "shipping acceptance stores" did not clearly have "common carrier" status, which is what allows shippers to knowingly and legally posess regulated items without the otherwise necessary licenses or paperwork (for example, narcotics shipments, class III weapons shipments, and shipments of firearms in states where mere posession requires a license).

Does anyone on this list know if the change the "UPS Store" from "Mailboxes Etc." has changed this?

It hasn't changed. Alot of the UPS Stores will accept firearms although they're not supposed to according to UPS regs.

from the UPS web site...

* You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services

* Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services.

* When you are shipping your package that contains a firearm with UPS, you must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.

* Hub ... also known as UPS Customer Centers are staffed shipping centers located on-site at UPS operating facilities nationwide, equipped to assist you with any UPS international, air or ground package shipment.