Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 V-comp concern

xjwalt666

I just picked up a nib 627 v-comp yesterday. Its my 2nd revolver I've had besides a 929. I hadn't ever taken one apart before and got curious. I popped the side cover off and just looked around a bit at the controls and such. It seems like some of the plating on the trigger and hammer is flaking off. I couldnt get a good picture of it but it looked like around the single action sear area and the mating area on the hammer were where it was flaking. Is this anything to be concerned about enough to send to S&W or have a gunsmith look into?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Are the hammer and trigger chromed?

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592

This is what I'm thinking. That they are chromed. I deal with Chrome plating at work and when we get parts that break thru or chip it looks like this does.

A photo, even if a suboptimal angle would be helpful. The parts are case hardened and shouldn’t be flaking off. But I doubt that’s the case. It can be a worn with extreme use or someone could have removed the case hardening not knowing why it’s there. But flaking, I’m not so sure.
Like PatJones said the hammer and trigger look like they are chrome plated. And it looks like thats whats flaking.

It doesn't seem to be making the trigger gritty at all. I havent even shot it yet just dry fire. Going to shoot tomorrow. If it doesn't cause any issues I'll leave it that way until I have any trigger work done.