Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to me 650...a couple quick questions.

Hey gang,

I've been reloading for a dozen or so chamberings on both a single stage and my 550B (no case feeder) set up for 9mm and 45ACP for a few years.

I got a 650 and some die sets, tool heads, caliber conversions kits, etc from a friend for a price I couldn't pass up.  I figured I'd set up the 650 for small primer cases and the 550B for large primer cases.  I load more 9mm than anything so I figure I'll make the 650 the workhorse.

I've been doing some reading and I've ordered a few things. 

Ordered the kit from "Snowshooze" on ebay with the roller bearings, oil lite bearing, primer shutoff, etc.  

Ordered another quick change setup and ergo roller handle, and lights from Inline (I use their stuff on my other two presses).

And after reading on here I broke down and ordered a casefeeder today (it came without one, but does have the mount, casefeeder tube, etc.

Okay, now a couple questions. 

First, What is this black metal part in the photo?

Second, it came with a powder dispenser.  Looks different than the ones I have for my 550B.  I assumed looking on the website that they are interchangeable 550-650, is this true?  Is the one I got with the 650 just an older design?  Are the two coil springs part of the Dillon design?

Third, is the clear casefeeder tube used with all common handgun cases (9mm, 45acp, .38/.357?  I did order a small and large casefeeder plate, but I was wondering about the clear tube...will the one that came with the press work for the above handgun cases?  They all fit in the clear tube and I have caliber conversion kits for all.

Thanks so much for anyone willing to take some time to respond.

Thanks,

John

20200825_214718.jpg

#1 is the chute/bin mount.  It attaches to the right side of the press. checkout the link below and look under 650 XL lower machine assembly.  https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-650-lower-machine-assembly_8_45_25384.html

#2 the powder dispensers are interchangeable and the one with the coils is the older version.

#3 the clear tube is fine.  I load 9mm, 45, 223 and 308 on my 650.  I never change the tube just the attachments on the end of the tube known as Casefeed adapter parts.  (arm bushing, body bushing & adapter)

The black bracket is a finished round chute I think for a 550 and holds 2 bins

The powder drop is old style before failsafe rod was added

The clear tube works with all cases I believe just have to change out the caliber change parts

I would add the case feed stop from snowshooze and a primer bottle to eliminate "primer ski jump".also could add the spent primer tube and run tube into a gallon jug

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, stick said:

#1 is the chute/bin mount.  It attaches to the right side of the press. checkout the link below and look under 650 XL lower machine assembly.  https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-650-lower-machine-assembly_8_45_25384.html

#2 the powder dispensers are interchangeable and the one with the coils is the older version.

#3 the clear tube is fine.  I load 9mm, 45, 223 and 308 on my 650.  I never change the tube just the attachments on the end of the tube known as Casefeed adapter parts.  (arm bushing, body bushing & adapter)

That totally makes sense...thanks for the link on the diagram.

Good info on all those questions, thanks so much.

8 hours ago, m700 said:

The black bracket is a finished round chute I think for a 550 and holds 2 bins

The powder drop is old style before failsafe rod was added

The clear tube works with all cases I believe just have to change out the caliber change parts

I would add the case feed stop from snowshooze and a primer bottle to eliminate "primer ski jump".also could add the spent primer tube and run tube into a gallon jug

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for all the info.

I did order the case feed stop from snowshooze with the other stuff I ordered from him.  

Good info about spent primers as well.  I actually deprime off my bench...I have a "dirty" press setup in the garage for depriming cases, then I stainless steel wet tumble before I bring clean brass into the house to my main bench.

Thanks!

You would save a bunch of time by letting your 650 do all the work. Depriming on another press is not really necessarily. It's very easy to clean the 650. Just clean your used brass as usual and dump in the case feeder hopper. 

2 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

You would save a bunch of time by letting your 650 do all the work. Depriming on another press is not really necessarily. It's very easy to clean the 650. Just clean your used brass as usual and dump in the case feeder hopper. 

You are right.  Depriming off the press is kinda tedious but I do love clean primer pockets and no carbon on my presses, floor, etc.  If I was loading a ton of ammo, I probably couldn't justify it.  Heck, I don't load enough to justify the 650...I just got it too cheap to turn down and then I talked myself into adding the casefeeder.  Luckily I have two young sons that are good at depriming for me as payment for shooting ammo haha.  My 12 year old son killed his first deer last year with a round he handloaded which was pretty cool.

I'm sure if I start loading a bunch, I won't bother with depriming off the press.

Thanks.

I've used regular 409 to clean the casefeeder after my depriming  sessions. I like to work it in a batch style. I'll deprime 4-5k worth of brass and then have that in a tub thats "ready to load" after it has been cleaned in a wet tumbler. I just like the look of clean brass and a clean primer pocket. May waste time but its all about the process for me.