Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Bullet Velocities

SJBriggs

I'm new to reloading and wanted to verify some inconsistent data that I've noticed with the .40 cal Blue Bullets that I whipped up. Per the companies web site, "A coated bullet will run slightly slower than a lead bullet (5FPS-10FPS)." However, I've noticed the opposite seems to be true by a considerable margin. With a 180g, Precision Delta jacketed bullet at 1.18 OAL, loaded with 4.8gr of Sport Pistol I'm getting 962.4 FPS. That same load with a 180gr Blue Bullet yielded 1009 FPS! That's an INCREASE of 46.6 FPS with the Blue Bullet. This definitely didn't seem correct, so I disassembled a few of the rounds and verified my powder measures. Everything was as it should be. I'm assuming that the above quote from the Blue Bullets site refers to a non-jacketed, solid lead bullet.

I also have an order of Black Bullets on order. On their website, Black Bullets state, "Coated bullets produce higher velocities while reducing lead fouling and smoke." I understand that each company uses their own type of coating, but has anyone else found that the Blue Bullets produce a significantly higher velocity than jacketed?

Coated should run faster than fmjs as there is less resistance. Most people just lower to charge a little. Id assume the quote means lubed lead bullets as well.

That's another savings to using coat bullets over jacketed bullets albeit a pretty small one is powder is relatively cheap for pistol rounds.

There was an article floating around, that I can't find now, where a guy took various bullet types and loaded all of them over an identical powder charge to see the bullet types effect on velocity. Short answer was lubed lead produced the fastest fps followed by coated and then plated/jacketed.

I shoot coated where I can for the projectile and powder savings (and not having to deal with lead lube smoke) and jacketed where needed (e.g. high velocity or hunting applications).