Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution 223 & conversion

I'm jumping into the Evolution game and really looking forward to it for 9 & 45.  Of the hundreds of pages I've read & videos I've watched very few mention 223.  I know Gavin @ UR was going to do a video of the conversion & impression but it's not out.

Two questions, how does the press run 223, I assume well, but....  Second, how much of a PIA is the conversion, anything bad going from Large primmer to Small?

Thanks

so converting and staying same primer size, i.e. small pistol to small rifle. is easy. 1 bolt for the tool head, loosen 4 remove the spring, loosen 4 for the shell plate hold down, pull shell plate up, change case feeder arm, re-assemble change case feeder plate .... 15 minutes max since you will be also lubing and cleaning the machine a bit if you are disassembling  a bit. 

i have not down a primer conversion yet, when i installed my primer orientation sensor i had access to the primer system, and from just looking it over it didn't seem overly complex, but if you join the mark 7 group on facebook i am sure there is a video on the conversion 

• 1 month later...

I've processed (deprime, swage, resize, trim, m-die) 15k cases, and it works great. 

I've only loaded 6-7k and it's been a bit of a learning curve. I run about 900 RPH and it's great... as soon as I bump it up to 1300-1500.... it usually s#!ts the bed (primer jam is most common). 

I have the 2nd guide rod, helps stabilize the tool head. 

Primer swap is easy...I usually push the primer punch upward while tightening things down. 9mm small primers are also the small rifle primer parts. 

You need a rifle-sized powder drop, 223 conversion kit, and obviously the case feeder and bullet feeder stuff if you have them. 

• 4 weeks later...

I only load 9 on my Evo manual and was considering a .223 conversion kit. I have never loaded rifle before so it will be an extra bit of a learning curve. Was hoping that Mk7 might have a Black Friday sale on some of the conversion parts. I'm going to follow this one. Please update on your findings and info you come across.

Several things I want to add from my findings of reloading 9mm and 223 Rem on this press. 9mm or any pistol/straight walled cartridge that does not require trimming is great. But it is when one runs into having to trim cases that becomes an issue on the press. 223 or any bottlenecked cases for the matter requires sizing lube in order to properly size cases and prevent stuck cases which can start to gunk up the case feeder bowl and tube as well as the rest of the press itself. I reload strictly once fired brass and not virgin brass like most of the youtube reviews/overviews show which means more carbon/dirt/gunk to deal with. I load in volume and therefore wet tumble my once fired brass in a cement mixer with dish soap. Now the problem here is attempting to do one pass reloading on the press. Technically it is possible to do it if a trimmer/sizer combo die is set up on the swage station although not ideal as there are 3 tasks being done in a single station (size+trim+swage). I do not believe this press is truly able to do 1 pass reloading with any bottlenecked calibers WITH MIXED RANGE BRASS (Military crimps, dirt, carbon etc). It is not hard to convert but be aware that if you do reload once fired mixed brass, it is best to do it in 2 passes. Even then the press will still be gunked up from contaminants inside the primer pocket (after it is decapped) and inside the case. 

Baragasam - Your post is great as I too was planning on eventually setting up a 223/5.56 conversion for my EVO....I like you clean my mixed range brass in a small electric concrete mixer and up until now I have processed and loaded my 223/5.56 rounds on a two pass process on my 650....

As I also have a single stage RCBS press on my bench I might try to de-prime and re-size the 223/5.56 on it (I know this means loading and unloading each round by hand unless I do this on the 650) then clean the brass and remove the case lube and then load (without trimming) my 223/5.56 on the EVO in one pass....All of this will be down the road so I will continue to read more on this topic as others post their experiences.....