Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Howdy from Colorado

Colorado_CJ

Howdy folks.  This is my first post here.  I recently signed up since I am getting interested in starting to compete in USPSA matches.  Here in Colorado, it looks like there is a match nearly every weekend.  

I am a long time shooter, but never really shot in many competitions.  I DID shoot in a few bowling pin matches and did pretty well, and had a lot of fun.  

I am going to be using a Sig P320 Legion and will shortly have my belt, holster and mag pouches set up.  I am not sure what USPSA division I want to start in, though it will probably be either production or Carry Optics.  

Now I just need to figure out what how to go about getting into my first USPSA match.  Kinda wish there was some practice sessions instead of jumping in with no idea of what to expect, but I am sure I am going to have a lot of fun either way.

4 hours ago, Colorado_CJ said:

.....Now I just need to figure out what how to go about getting into my first USPSA match.  Kinda wish there was some practice sessions instead of jumping in with no idea of what to expect.....

Get an account on "Practiscore".  Search for the clubs local to you that run USPSA or Practical Pistol.  Contact information will be listed for the match director.  Contact the MD & tell'em you're new & want to shoot and the MD will have all kinds of information for you. For the clubs that set-up the day prior, folks will often shoot a little after the stages are set-up.  That will be your chance to be introduced to the sport before the actual match.

Matches typically will have a new shooter orientation before the match starts.  Not all of them in Colorado have them but most do.  Once you sign up on Practiscore you can locate matches on Practiscore, but using the Google groups in Colorado for seeing USPSA match schedules is easier.  If you are serious you will also want to possibly join the ecouspsa.com group as that is the section group for the front range here in Colorado.  If you live on the Western slope you will want to check out and possibly join wcosupsa.com as that is the section group for Western Colorado.  Both of these websites are the best source of USPSA match schedules here in Colorado.  Being part of these two Google groups means that you will also receive match information.  When registration opens for matches, when they have been canceled, if a match gets canceled after you have registered, etc.  Once you go through the training you will receive a yellow card indicating  that you have received training to participate in USPSA matches.  Keep this card in you range bag.  If you are serious and know you intend to shoot and care to get classified you will also need a USPSA membership.  I would suggest annual to begin with which are super reasonable in price.  You are not required to have a USPSA membership to shoot matches.  If you are not a USPSA member your scores will not be passed onto USPSA for classification purposes.

As far as what you can do before attending you first match, is some dry fire training on your own.  Practice draws and reloads mostly.  There are a lot of excellent books out there  YouTube if you find the right people to follow (careful on YouTube, there are also a bunch of idiots on there as well).  You can also attend a match and watch how it works before participating.  People will always be willing to answer questions, and it helps you understand the flow of a match and what to expect before you participate in your first match.  Something I wish I would have worked on is my "make ready" routine and what to do when clearing the fire arm once I have completed the course of fire.  With the gun dry learn your manual of arms with you X5.  Learning and understanding the range commands before you show up helps a lot.  Its not required by any means, but it does bring a comfort and confidence level if you do.  

The biggest thing for your first couple of matches is to go slow and try your best to not get disqualified (DQ'd) for breaking safety rules.  If you do get DQ'd don't take it hard.  It is not a matter of if you will DQ it is a matter of when you will DQ for just about everyone.  Just about everyone will have a DQ if they stick with this sport long enough.  Other than that have fun.  If you have questions about gear let me know.  I also shoot an X5 Legion in Carry Optics.  Feel free to message me if you have any questions.  I typically attend at least three matches a month.

On 8/11/2020 at 1:24 AM, Colorado_CJ said:

Howdy folks.  This is my first post here.  I recently signed up since I am getting interested in starting to compete in USPSA matches.  Here in Colorado, it looks like there is a match nearly every weekend.  

I am a long time shooter, but never really shot in many competitions.  I DID shoot in a few bowling pin matches and did pretty well, and had a lot of fun.  

I am going to be using a Sig P320 Legion and will shortly have my belt, holster and mag pouches set up.  I am not sure what USPSA division I want to start in, though it will probably be either production or Carry Optics.  

Now I just need to figure out what how to go about getting into my first USPSA match.  Kinda wish there was some practice sessions instead of jumping in with no idea of what to expect, but I am sure I am going to have a lot of fun either way.

Welcome aboard! Where in CO are you? There are a few good ways of getting started if you're in the Denver area.

On 8/11/2020 at 7:48 AM, Boomstick303 said:

{snip for brevity}

This is all really good advice.

On 8/11/2020 at 5:28 AM, BJB said:

Get an account on "Practiscore".  Search for the clubs local to you that run USPSA or Practical Pistol.  Contact information will be listed for the match director.  Contact the MD & tell'em you're new & want to shoot and the MD will have all kinds of information for you. For the clubs that set-up the day prior, folks will often shoot a little after the stages are set-up.  That will be your chance to be introduced to the sport before the actual match.

Thanks, I'll definitely try that.

On 8/11/2020 at 7:48 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Matches typically will have a new shooter orientation before the match starts.  Not all of them in Colorado have them but most do.  Once you sign up on Practiscore you can locate matches on Practiscore, but using the Google groups in Colorado for seeing USPSA match schedules is easier.  If you are serious you will also want to possibly join the ecouspsa.com group as that is the section group for the front range here in Colorado.  If you live on the Western slope you will want to check out and possibly join wcosupsa.com as that is the section group for Western Colorado.  Both of these websites are the best source of USPSA match schedules here in Colorado.  Being part of these two Google groups means that you will also receive match information.  When registration opens for matches, when they have been canceled, if a match gets canceled after you have registered, etc.  Once you go through the training you will receive a yellow card indicating  that you have received training to participate in USPSA matches.  Keep this card in you range bag.  If you are serious and know you intend to shoot and care to get classified you will also need a USPSA membership.  I would suggest annual to begin with which are super reasonable in price.  You are not required to have a USPSA membership to shoot matches.  If you are not a USPSA member your scores will not be passed onto USPSA for classification purposes.

As far as what you can do before attending you first match, is some dry fire training on your own.  Practice draws and reloads mostly.  There are a lot of excellent books out there  YouTube if you find the right people to follow (careful on YouTube, there are also a bunch of idiots on there as well).  You can also attend a match and watch how it works before participating.  People will always be willing to answer questions, and it helps you understand the flow of a match and what to expect before you participate in your first match.  Something I wish I would have worked on is my "make ready" routine and what to do when clearing the fire arm once I have completed the course of fire.  With the gun dry learn your manual of arms with you X5.  Learning and understanding the range commands before you show up helps a lot.  Its not required by any means, but it does bring a comfort and confidence level if you do.  

The biggest thing for your first couple of matches is to go slow and try your best to not get disqualified (DQ'd) for breaking safety rules.  If you do get DQ'd don't take it hard.  It is not a matter of if you will DQ it is a matter of when you will DQ for just about everyone.  Just about everyone will have a DQ if they stick with this sport long enough.  Other than that have fun.  If you have questions about gear let me know.  I also shoot an X5 Legion in Carry Optics.  Feel free to message me if you have any questions.  I typically attend at least three matches a month.

Thank you for all the information!  

I looked at the Eastern Colorado USPSA site, it looks like there are plenty of matches to compete in.  It looks like they make you go through an orientation/practice class before you can go to your first competition.  This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to find what club has those classes and sign up to one.

I will probably also go watch a match before I join one as you said.  It will show me what I am getting into and helpfully let me learn a little bit so I don't make a total fool of myself the first time ;)

On 8/12/2020 at 11:53 AM, matteekay said:

Welcome aboard! Where in CO are you? There are a few good ways of getting started if you're in the Denver area.

This is all really good advice.

Thanks!  I am in Loveland, Colorado, so pretty central to a lot of the matches on the front range it looks like.

I have my rig all set up now, so I am going to do a little practicing, then attend one of the matches just to get a feel for everything before signing up for one.

1 hour ago, Colorado_CJ said:

Thanks!  I am in Loveland, Colorado, so pretty central to a lot of the matches on the front range it looks like.

I have my rig all set up now, so I am going to do a little practicing, then attend one of the matches just to get a feel for everything before signing up for one.

Cool, I have a couple friends up that way.

I'd highly recommend taking Bristlecone's "Intro to USPSA" class (they're in Lakewood). You'll get your yellow card at the end of it and it's a good mix of classroom and practical instruction.

Definitely check out Weld's USPSA match, too (WCPS / Weld County Practical Shooters), as it's up your way and always a great time. And join the ECOUSPSA Google group / email list as it's the easiest way to get match announcements and the like. 

8 hours ago, matteekay said:

Cool, I have a couple friends up that way.

I'd highly recommend taking Bristlecone's "Intro to USPSA" class (they're in Lakewood). You'll get your yellow card at the end of it and it's a good mix of classroom and practical instruction.

Definitely check out Weld's USPSA match, too (WCPS / Weld County Practical Shooters), as it's up your way and always a great time. And join the ECOUSPSA Google group / email list as it's the easiest way to get match announcements and the like. 

I just looked and it looks like Bristlecone is holding a USPSA class tonight!  

Thanks for the heads up.  Going to call them when they open, they have one more spot left.

2 hours ago, Colorado_CJ said:

I just looked and it looks like Bristlecone is holding a USPSA class tonight!  

Thanks for the heads up.  Going to call them when they open, they have one more spot left.

Awesome! I'll be there tonight shooting USPSA. I'm in the 6-7 squad I think, and will be the only fat dude running a Chiappa Rhino, lol. If you take the class, tell Bryan that Matt says hi!

Edited by matteekay

Well, I got my yellow card last night!  

Bristlecone are good people.  The instructor was VERY thorough and now I can't wait for my first match.  

Thanks again everyone for the pointers!
Nice! Hope you enjoyed it - I'll probably bump into you there at some point!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Bristlecone was running USPSA practice matches (I'm not sure if they still are). You get to shoot two courses at least three times each; it's good for trying variations on stage plans, speed, etc.

Edit: And Arvada Rifle and Pistol Club lets you draw and fire once you're qualified. I don't think any of the indoor ranges allow run and gun practice, but maybe some of the outdoor ones do?

Edited by matteekay