Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading

Daedalus47

I started loading with a used Lee turret I picked up cheap. Then my son started shooting SASP and I quickly realized I could  not keep up with him shooting every week. I got a Dillon 550 and later added  a case feeder. Now that we are shooting USPSA and steel challenge with my son we typically shoot 6-8K 9mm a year. For me it is worth it to be able to customize our loads. As far as being worth it financially it mainly relies on what your time is worth. For me it's my quite time in the basement. 

Edited by Kokeman

I always tell newbies that they should start with a single stage press. There is so much to learn don't add the complexities

of a progressive press. Once that bullet goes into the pistol case there is no way to tell what you put inside it.

I have been loading for fifty years and I can tell you one thing. There are those that have and those that will.

With my rifle rounds I weigh every finished round for a powder charge or worse. You can't do that with pistol rounds.

If you have to have a progressive get one that indexes automatically. Much less chance of a double charge. Remember

that 9mm only has about 4 grains of powder. Mixed cases can vary that much. Learn the the in's and out's first.

That single stage press will always come in handy down the road. Happy loading.

• 2 weeks later...