Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullets, guns, and Physics question...

Cuz

On 8/4/2020 at 3:02 PM, Cuz said:

I wish I had something meaningful to add, but I am learning a lot.

MikeB,  You can't say everything is different because I can use the exact same frame and recoil spring so the only difference between the G17 and G34 would be the slide and barrel.  And, I already know that I can't "feel" the difference.  But, that doesn't mean there isn't a difference.

I'm just trying to determine with math/physics whether the longer barrel/slide combo would produce a softer shooting result than the G17.  I don't know what the answer is, but in my mind I "think" that the G17 would be softer because of the lower velocity.  But, my wife will tell you that what I think is rarely correct.

Thanks to the rest of you who have chimed in, it seems like there are a couple of differing opinions which means that the answer may not be as clear as I wished.

so the real question is will the heavier G34 slide and barrel be traveling faster when it bottoms out against the frame than the lighter G17 slide and barrel ? I'm sure someone could do the calculations to figure this out but they would be using a lot of assumptions and the data would be very close to useless and field testing it would be much faster and more accurate. 

as for "feel" I have found it to be over rated, I can "feel" the differences in many loads when I stand at the bench and slow fire them while trying to feel the difference, but if I load up a magazine with different loads and shoot a stage, I see the sights go up and down and any subtle differences are lost, heck 147s and 115s sound different but on a stage I cant feel it.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, I just re-read this whole thread again and I still don't understand it.

I think MikeB hit the nail on the head in that you probably wouldn't feel any noticeable difference in an actual match.  Which will segway into the next topic I start.