Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Waiting For Pistol Permit

JRBean

I was looking at my pistol permit today and noticed that it expired on the first of this month. I called my wife to see if she had sent off a check for the renewal. She said she did back in September. So I call the Sheriff's office and find out that there

is a 4 to 6 week back log. She then goes on to tell me to be sure not to be caught carrying a firearm if my permit is expired and that they will take my pistol and fine me and arrest me if I am caught with an expired permit. They are not offering a grace period eventhough it is their fault that I do not have my new permit. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

It's crazy how all the states have a different way of handling pistol permits. I'm going to call and see how they are handling lost permits because if memory serves right when I first got mine about 4 years ago they simply took the picture and handed me my card there. I also don't understand why ours is handled on a county level and not a state level. The permit is labeled as a Mobile County Sheriff's Office Pistol Permit not a Alabama State permit.Maybe it's a good thing I don't understand why they do things the way they do :wacko: .

You should live in New York state, as they have a "speedy permit law." They are required to either issue/deny your permit within 6 months of application or give you a status update withing that timeframe.

No, this is not a joke.

Although this is mentioned in the NYS gun laws, each county can pretty much do what they want in regards to the issuance of new handgun permits and each county is pretty much different. There are county links at the bottom of this link on the NY laws. Saratoga County for example which is north of Albany issues pistol permits but none to carry and I have been told mine is not good for carry in that county.

Here in Ontario County at this time you could pretty much count on 12 months to the day and hour after you file as I know numerous people who have had it happen. The Count Sheriff also contacts every one of your 4 character references by phone and your spouse before it is finally approved.

It really isn't a very speedy process.

http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

:angry:

Yes, but except for a few counties "If issued, the license is valid until revoked", so it is for life.

They will also do the "Brady check", and give you a note indicating that you passed. It is good for two years, and eliminates the need for the instant check should you wish to buy a firearm. You can get a new card every two years. Its not necessary, but does streamline a gun purchase.

Oh yea Hate forum... :huh:

It stinks that NY does not reciprocate. Idiots in Albany think we are better than everybody else. :angry:

Edited by wide45

I was looking at my pistol permit today and noticed that it expired on the first of this month. I called my wife to see if she had sent off a check for the renewal. She said she did back in September. So I call the Sheriff's office and find out that there

is a 4 to 6 week back log. She then goes on to tell me to be sure not to be caught carrying a firearm if my permit is expired and that they will take my pistol and fine me and arrest me if I am caught with an expired permit. They are not offering a grace period eventhough it is their fault that I do not have my new permit. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Come to kalifornia where the wait time is INFINITY or until hell freezes over......

:D

You should live in New York state, as they have a "speedy permit law." They are required to either issue/deny your permit within 6 months of application or give you a status update withing that timeframe.

No, this is not a joke.

In Kali, the rejection is much quicker. I called the local PD and asked the secretary of the guy who would have to sign off to issue one: she told me he had not approved a permit in more than a decade (that's probably how long she had worked there).