Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Still is Still?

hermes_actual

Per 8.3.1, "The Range Officer will not proceed with any further range commands until the competitor is still and is in the correct start position."

I had a shooter continue to twitch/wiggle his fingers after I issued MR (kind of like in a dual in an old Western movie). I waited for him to stop which he didn't. He looked at me because I wasn't giving the AYR command. I indicated that he was still moving his fingers. He said he wasn't aware he was moving and asked if I was serious. I told him that the rule says "still" which to me means motionless. Was I being too literal?

Edited by hermes_actual

I don't think it has anything to do with being too literal.  The RO should look at the shooter's body language to determine if he is indeed ready once in the correct start position.  I look for a "settled" condition.  Although the wiggling fingers appears a rather minor act, I would view it as not yet settled.  

If you know the shooter and are aware of his unique twitching, I would have no problem ignoring it in the interest of saving time and not distracting the shooter from his intense pre-beep focus.  😎

Still is still and you're doing it correctly. We are not talking about super-duper-motionless-good-enough-to-play-dead-in-a-movie still, but we are talking about what a normal person standing still would look like, e.g. someone casually standing in the line at a grocery store (less the weight shifting and whining). Any hand or arm movement that is noticeable is a movement and indicates the shooter is not ready.

As an RO, you wait until they settle down and if they don't, you keep waiting. Just as you did. If you don't, you can end up interrupting a visualization and the shooter won't be happy. Holding the gun, keeping hands in the incorrect start position or wiggling the fingers are all quite common ways for a shooter to signal they are doing something else and are not ready yet. 

Edited by IVC

i get lots that say or nod ready but are still moving, twitching, deep breaths, etc.  as long as no competitive advantage (reaching for gun or starting to run) i do AYR, SB, beep.  but if they don't say or nod ready then i just wait until they are still.