Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2005 USPSA 3-gun Nats

You may have watched more Heavy Metal shooters compete at the Nationals this year if there would have been a little more advanced warning.

When I first called to sign up I was informed there would be no Heavy Metal. I purchased new weapons to use in the Standard (Limited) Division and was ready to go. I later learned that there would be a Heavy Metal Division. Oh well.

Next year it is Heavy Metal for me. I must admit though that I really had a blast shooting semi-auto shotgun (never done that before) and using the CR speed holster with a CZ Standard IPSC. I can't say it was more fun, but it was different enough for me to really enjoy myself.

I am 46 yrs. old and will soon need stronger glasses, but I still want iron sights on my .308. But I will happily go with whatever the rules allow.

Benny, quit whining!

When I was a junior highpower shooter, I used to marvel at the 50, 60, yes even 70 year old shooters who were able to consistently trounce me using iron sights. I think it has less to do with "old eyes" and more to do with lack of familiarization with iron sights.

What if, instead of Heavy Metal or He-Man, we had IPSC Standard Manual Division or something like it?

1. Pump shotguns;

2. Lever, bolt, or pump rifles;

3. Maybe restrict handgun to revolver.

I'm not sure about a revolver requirement. It could encourage revolver shooting, but it might also reduce shooting in a Standard Manual Division. What do the shooters want?

Bill, the one remaining HM competitor (Angus Hobdell) was folded into Limited straight up in the finals. I am not sure what method would have been used if there had been many more competitors in HM. It would seem to me that Revolver would be the best choice for HM division in EZ-Winscore using San Angelo style scoring (aka one big pistol match).

--

Regards,

HM is a category in USPSA, not a Division. The reason, as I understand it, for this is to allow Match Directors to open it up whatever division they want, I.E. Tactical Heavy Metal, Limited Heavy Metal.

Well the reason I asked was that the Area 1 Multigun Championship, which Bruce used as a dress rehearsal for the Nationals, had Heavy Metal as a full division. (You can see it in major match results on uspsa.org.) I would guess that had Bruce been able to go, and had there been enough HM competitors (there was only one?!), you would have seen the nationals done that way as well.

Edited by wgnoyes