Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xl650 primer station timing

I have searched but can't seam to find an answer as to how to adjust the timing of the shell plate to the primer position.  The primer pushing assembly feels to be in good alignment with the primer plate.  However the shell plate is off center

15949490212688759270754353259345.jpg

Does it prime OK? That's really not as far off as some I've seen. BUT, to align it better you nead to remove the shell plate and loosen the platform bolts and move it ever so slightly in the direction you want things to move. Then put the plate back on and check it. If you call Dillon they will send you an alignment tool that makes it much easier.

You center the shell plate by adjusting the indexer block (item 18 on the parts list) or index bearing cam if you upgraded to it. Loosen the two Allen screws and either move it either left or right and then tighten the screws once the shellplate is centered. The indexer block controls the timing of the shell plate.  There’s no need to remove the shellplate.

Edited by George16

9 hours ago, George16 said:

You center the shell plate by adjusting the indexer block (item 18 on the parts list) or index bearing cam if you upgraded to it. Loosen the two Allen screws and either move it either left or right and then tighten the screws once the shellplate is centered. The indexer block controls the timing of the shell plate.  There’s no need to remove the shellplate.

That block will certainly throw the alignment off if moved to far to the right on my press. All the way to the left is where mine sits because that is where the alignment tool placed the platform.

Edited by Sarge

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

That block will certainly throw the alignment off if moved to far to the right on my press. All the way to the left is where mine sits because that is where the alignment tool placed the platform.

The indexer block is adjusted after the platform has been properly aligned using the alignment tool. I had to do this multiple times with Dillon tech reps help after breaking the indexer ring multiple times while processing .223 brass. He guided me through the whole process. 
The last thing he told me was to adjust the indexer block in order to center the shellplate to the primer position. 

I got tired of breaking the indexer ring while processing .223 brass so I ordered the RL1100. No more broken indexer rings 😆 .