Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo .38 super mag interchangeability

gnappi

I have Witnesses in .38 super, .40, and 10mm and found that some mags (all Tanfo supplied) can be reliably pressed into service for use in other calibers. 

My .38 super mags work 100% of the time for .40 and .9mm. I have plenty of 9mm mags but need .40's as well as .38's and I'm wondering if instead of buying a bunch of both, it other Tanfo owners have used super mags with success with 9 as well as (more importantly) with .40?

gnappi I have a GT 9mm.  Using the Tanfo and K9 mags (with spacers) my max oal is 1.140.  I got a 38s mag to try so I could load out to 1.165 for powder flexibility.  I never did get the 38 mag to run/feed properly and gave up.  I don't know why.  Now that I have stroked the GT I may give it another shot.

Certain 38 super mags work, others do not.  I found that older 38 super Tanfo magazines work in my domina, and also use the k9mags that I believe come with the newer 9mm dominas.   I am loading to 1.60 with no mag issues so far.  Gun runs really good using an 8lb recoil spring. Could be a 9lb, as I got my springs mixed up.