Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide/barrel interference

BoyGlock

Have Recently bought a used locally customized (not in US) comped 2011 Open pistol in .38super. When its held w/ barrel horizontal or muzzled upwards, the slide retracts smoothly. When muzzle is pointed a bit downwards, could feel slide and barrel binding a bit when it retracts rearwards. Tested for barrel frame fit via link pin and its ok.  My prime suspect is the upper lugs of the barrel is interfering w/ the roof of the slide by a hair when pointed downwards but not when pointed level or up. It shoots well and reliable. But I fear it will ruin itself later. 
what could be the problem and solution if any, short of replacing barrel and/or slide? Not a gs but I fit my own thumb safeties and other minor works. 

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds to me like it's not an issue unless you're shooting downhill 🙂

Seriously, when you say "binding" is it stopping or slowing the slide? 

Edited by gnappi

On 7/2/2020 at 11:04 PM, BoyGlock said:

Have Recently bought a used locally customized (not in US) comped 2011 Open pistol in .38super. When its held w/ barrel horizontal or muzzled upwards, the slide retracts smoothly. When muzzle is pointed a bit downwards, could feel slide and barrel binding a bit when it retracts rearwards. Tested for barrel frame fit via link pin and its ok.  My prime suspect is the upper lugs of the barrel is interfering w/ the roof of the slide by a hair when pointed downwards but not when pointed level or up. It shoots well and reliable. But I fear it will ruin itself later. 
what could be the problem and solution if any, short of replacing barrel and/or slide? Not a gs but I fit my own thumb safeties and other minor works. 

When pointed downwards, the barrel and comp weight are moving the barrel/link etc slightly forward.  First thing that comes to mind are slop in the link/link pin, link pin holes, or upper lugs on barrel or slide. All of which “could possibly” contribute to lug wear on barrel or frame lugs. I’d not be terribly concerned if it runs...but...my OCD would not allow me to rule out all of the above mentioned possibilities. 

Hope that helps. 

5 hours ago, gnappi said:

Seriously, when you say "binding" is it stopping or slowing the slide? 

I can feel it when manually racking the slide w/ muzzle below level. When level and above level its smooth as silk. 

@cheers623 will look see those parts. Indeed there are wear marks on barrel upper lugs indicating contact. 

Eta. am thinking of using a shorter (#2) link

Edited by BoyGlock