Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting mags to fit magazine gauge

Jsjac

I put together a 21 round magazine with a TTI plus one base.

I had read on the interwebs that they would make the 141 mm measurement.

I bought a magazine gauge and found the magazine with the plus one does not fit in the gauge. Glad I checked. I am shooting a match where they will measure magazines. 

Now to figure out how to make them fit or go a different route. 

Maybe I will file down the factory magazine base on the 21 rounder to make it fit .

Any other thoughts?

What are you using for magazine extensions to get the extra round or two?

Have you checked them in the magazine gauge?

Thank you in advance for your response. 

Jeff

If you politely file the rear most portion of the feed lips, the mags with TTI bases will fit the gauge.

Lay the gauge down hort. and make sure they fit under their own weight.

Thank you for your response. 

I will try the one I put together. 

If it works for me I will put the rest of them together and file those to fit as well. 

Any pictures of how much you have to file off the magazine feed lips. 

Sounds like a fairly easy solution. 

Start at the rear of the feed lips and lightly draw file to the front of the lips across the top.  Where they make contact with the gauge.

It's a small amount.

Then stone everything smooth.

I got three out of the four magazine base pads on 21 rounders to fit the gauge. 

The fourth one would take way to much filing. 

I swapped the base pads around and it is the base pads and not the magazine tube. 

Per USPSA rules (if that is what you are shooting) you are permitted to apply a reasonable amount of pressure on the magazine while in the gauge to pass.

USPSA Competition Rules

March 20 20 v2

APPENDIX E1

Magazine Measurement

Magazine Measurement Procedure

Measurements on magazines are as follows:

5.561” (141.25 mm)

6.742” (171.25 mm)

The primary magazine measuring device shall be the EGW mag gauge. A magazine needs to conform to the length limit as well as the gauge to comply with our rules.

The gauge width extends to infinity. No curved, collapsible, extendable, or similar types of magazines will be allowed. If a base pad does not conform to the configuration of the gauge, a ruler may be used to measure the overall length as pictured above. The magazine shall be placed into the gauge without significant force or depression. It must lie so that the back of the magazine is flush against the gauge. The follower may be depressed, or slight pressure may be applied, to ensure proper fit. Some non telescoping base pads fit loosely on the bottom of the magazine, hence the magazine may need to be “clicked in” on the mag gauge, using slight pressure. If the magazine fit or procedure is questioned, the Range Master’s call will be final.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:53 AM, Jsjac said:

I put together a 21 round magazine with a TTI plus one base.

I had read on the interwebs that they would make the 141 mm measurement.

I bought a magazine gauge and found the magazine with the plus one does not fit in the gauge. Glad I checked. I am shooting a match where they will measure magazines. 

Now to figure out how to make them fit or go a different route. 

Maybe I will file down the factory magazine base on the 21 rounder to make it fit .

Any other thoughts?

What are you using for magazine extensions to get the extra round or two?

Have you checked them in the magazine gauge?

Thank you in advance for your response. 

Jeff

Did you apply pressure to see if they would pass? That is permitted in USPSA.

I did put pressure on it and it still won't fit in the gauge. 

That is not a big deal. I will just order a replacement. 

Just for kicks I put the Glock magazines I have with extensions and they are very long. 

Again I am very happy that I bought the magazine gauge because I am shooting the Trident armory  https://practiscore.com/trident-armory-standby-to-fly-benefit-match/register

I am thinking that they will probably do a gear check. 

The older mags with the round notch in the basepad (I think they are made in Italy) won't fit the gauge with the TTI.  My newer mags with the rectangle notch fit the gauge fine with the TTI.

*EDT*  Please ignore the above statement.  It is in regards to the 17 rd mags, not the 21 rd as mentioned in OP.  Sorry.

Edited by Nuncles