Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Or Svi Mags?

Cuz

I just read thru a ton of the magazine posts and have done some searches. Most of the data is a couple of years old. As best I can tell, the following was true:

-SVI Mags worked better "out of the box".

-STI Mags worked better after tuning.

-STI Mags held a tune longer.

-Doesn't matter what gun you use them in (SVI or STI).

Is all of the above still true today? There doesn't seem to be a lot of new posts on this topic so I'm wondering if anything has changed. I'm interested in .40 caliber mags for a new SVI. Do you really have to get them tuned so they work reliably? I don't really care about getting the 20 rounds. I can throw on a base pad to get +1 or +2 rounds and be happy with that for now (at least until the gun is paid off), but I do want them to be reliable.

If I was not planning to tune them is one better than the other?

If I was planning to tune them is one better than the other?

Thanks,

-Cuz.

Most shooters I know prefer SV tubes IF they can get them.

I was looking for tubes for a 9 & a .49 and I waited over three months for tubes, calling about every other week. When they (SV) finally shipped them, they didn't call or fill the whole order, they just charged the card they had on file and shipped what they had.

My expereince with IPSC length tubes is that the SV's will hold one extra round for a given set up, and work better in dirty, dusty conditions. I don't know anyone getting 18 in a "box compliant" STI, but it was drop in in the SV's.

I think folks can get 20 from either in a 140mm .40, but I think it's still easier with SV.

As far as easier to tune and holding a tuine, not a clue.

STI's steel is better than it was. It's nearly impossible to get SV tubes. Also, with the ribs in the STI tubes, there's less metal that the rounds have to slide against to get to the top of the tube... less chance for rounds in a dirty mag to get hung up.

Get the STI... you won't be sorry.

One thing has changed. Since the AWB ended last year, you can order complete magazines that are ready to go out of the box. I also ordered 5 mag tubes from SV earlier this year and it took 2 months to get them.

Go order complete mags from STI and be done with it. I would recomend getting one tuned by Beven just so you can get 20 +1. It will come in handy once in a while. ;)