Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intermittent failure to lockup

MJinPA

• 2 weeks later...

Checked my brass length that wont chamber and found they were longer than my .902” chamber. Some were .908-.912”. SAAMI chamber specs for .38 super is .9179”. Should I go for SAAMI or a bit shorter say .910”? My kkm barrel is .910 and easily chambers these long-shell rounds. My gs is inclined to go the barest minimum for his alleged accuracy sake. But for me reliability is king. 

Edited by BoyGlock

On 1/10/2021 at 12:57 AM, BoyGlock said:

Checked my brass length that wont chamber and found they were longer than my .902” chamber. Some were .908-.912”. SAAMI chamber specs for .38 super is .9179”. Should I go for SAAMI or a bit shorter say .910”? My kkm barrel is .910 and easily chambers these long-shell rounds. My gs is inclined to go the barest minimum for his alleged accuracy sake. But for me reliability is king. 

Our go to is chamber ream to SAMMI max, the take throat reamer and finish ream using either customer supplied "dummy rounds" or the ones we use for my personal comp guns. No complaints. We also only use KKM barrels. 

17 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

Went to my gs today. He advised me to instead select my brass w/in .900 +_ .002 length. Will try this but if it dont work I will be obliged to learn to ream it myself or let other gs do it. 

Get another gunsmith.  Ain't nobody got time to be sorting brass by length when you shoot the volume we do.  The difference in accuracy for an open gun at IPSC distances between a .902" and at .910" chamber will be infinitesimal.

6 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Get another gunsmith.  Ain't nobody got time to be sorting brass by length when you shoot the volume we do.  The difference in accuracy for an open gun at IPSC distances between a .902" and at .910" chamber will be infinitesimal.

Right. Tried to get other gs but very few in my neck of woods could come at par wth his quality works. But this time think I better heed your advice. Lots of pita for a few thou of an inch. 

Here is what i learned in this ordeal. .38 super by SAAMI headspaces on the ream via a depression under the barrel hood. So depth of chamber at .9175 is not an issue. But todays chambers are reamed w/ Super Nonte w/c headspaces on the case mouth and w/c works for Rimmed super and Rimless supercomp. The Nonte reamer, in order to reach the correct depth reams the depression under the hood way forward so it wont have any function in chambering a round.  Hope i understand this correctly. 
My chamber at issue here is Nonte i believe. It just needs a few thou of an inch deeper to function reliably.

Update. Re-reamed chamber to .908” depth yesterday w/ .38 super Nonte reamer, by myself. Shot 375 rnds reloaded super rimless today. No more jam of failure to lock up. And think gun is a bit more accurate now than previously. 
Thanks everyone!