Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye relief bench/ prone

ffgats

Good Day

A beginner questions here, my experience is limited to AR shooting mostly 3 Gun and IPSC, I usually have a different setting when shooting unsupported and shooting prone, usually I moved the stock longer by one notch up to get the best eye relief on prone position. I am in the process of learning / joining long range and precision shooting with a Tikka T3X Varmint bolt action, got the scope ( 4-18x44) and planning to order the MDT chassis . MDT Chassis has the option for the stock preference, fix or carbine using  buffer tube and stock ( AR type) which I think can allow me to adjust the length fast without loosening  some knobs, but I find the stock has more wobble and the check placement are not adjustable. I like to divide my practice shooting bench and prone in one session. Will setting my Eye Relief in prone position covers the bench shooting. your recommendations and experience will be a big help, 

I’ve always used a fixed stock with adjustable cheek, or a chassis that is set and forget and never had issues shooting off a bench, other support, or prone.  Personally I’d go for the more rigid setup, get it tuned well for you with LOP, comb height, and scope mounting and think you’ll be good to go after a little time behind it. 

Well its got to at least work in all positions, and it should be reasonably comfortable in your primary shooting position.   I have a couple of optics that are a bit farther forward than I would like normally, but I need them that far away to allow for a functional prone.    Adjustable stocks do help, so take advantage of if you have one.   Its usually only a problem for me when shooting a variety of positions with fixed length stocks.