Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lyman Coming out with a Dillon-compatible Trimmer?

Yeah, been some mention of it in some of the Mark 7 threads... Good stuff. 
I figured the trimmer was a Mark 7 product even though it is on the Lyman site. I poked around on the MK7 site but didn't see anything about a trimmer or dies.

What do we know about it so far? Similar design to Dillon with a plastic vacuum hose adapter that clamps around the die?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

I figured the trimmer was a Mark 7 product even though it is on the Lyman site. I poked around on the MK7 site but didn't see anything about a trimmer or dies.

What do we know about it so far? Similar design to Dillon with a plastic vacuum hose adapter that clamps around the die?

I think the big complaint about their current trimmer is how big it is. Also some complaints about the Dillon vacuum parts needing to be modified to work. Hoping M7 has optimized that. M7 is really bad about posting upcoming stuff on their website. Most of the chatter comes from Shot Show reports and talking with the sales folks.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:58 PM, upsdude said:

has anyone used the trim die/toolhead from gsi? i like the integrated vacuum port-the downside is you need to trim twice.  there's a rough cut die, then the final cut which trims it down to spec.https://www.gsiinternational.com/300-blackout-for-650_8_4243_8644.html

I liked the idea of these so I got the 550 version to use with 30 Carbine sizer. The die lock nut had to be put on bottom as no threads left on top. The nut broke the 550 indexing levers... sigh. I then tried to drill/tap side for set screw but that wasn’t successful (didn’t hold die steady). 

These are thicker than normal toolheads so nut on bottom not a great option. I eventually just ground off the edges of nut so it didn’t hit the index arms. I don’t know how it would matter to 650/750 as I don’t have one. 

if you trim die is more normal size, it should work great. I really hate the blue vacuum attachment. 

2 hours ago, Tokarev said:

Who's 30 Carbine die are you using?

CH4D. I have trim dies for many of the odd ball

calibers but be warned they raised prices. I ordered one for 44-40 just today.

CH4D.

That's what I was afraid of. He says he's OOS on the 30 Carbine die and won't make another run for probably 18 months.

I guess I'm stuck with the Lee Quick Trim for the foreseeable future.

Best to backorder now.. it’s funny, I backordered a 7.5 French die and he said about two years. By then I forgot I ordered it. He called and told me it was ready. I didn’t really need but I figured why not...

On 5/7/2020 at 9:01 AM, DJRyan13 said:

Also some complaints about the Dillon vacuum parts needing to be modified to work.

Can you give me more detail on this one? Sounds like a problem that could be solved with a 3D printed version of an adapter in some tough plastic.

36 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Can you give me more detail on this one? Sounds like a problem that could be solved with a 3D printed version of an adapter in some tough plastic.

My complaints are mostly around taking it on and off if you need to make an adjustment... 

Best to backorder now.. it’s funny, I backordered a 7.5 French die and he said about two years. By then I forgot I ordered it. He called and told me it was ready. I didn’t really need but I figured why not...
Maybe I will give him a call and backorder 30 Carbine.

With that said, do I really need to? The Lee trimmer with cordless drill adapter works pretty well. I'm talking about the Quick Trim or whatever they call it and not the trimmer deal with the decapping pin case length deal.

What I do is full length size and deprime then trim using a Lee hand press and a cordless drill motor. To save some aggravation I have taken the deburr and chamfer blades out of the Lee cutter and am just using it as a straight up trimmer. No real need to chamfer since cases are getting flared prior to bullet seating.

The above works okay and goes pretty quick although it is a complete extra step that's done off press. Fortunately I don't shoot tons and tons of Carbine so it isn't a huge hassle.