Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Can You Tell If A Open Gun Is 38 Super

Azone41

If an open gun is tuned for super comp and you try to run super through it what type of malfunctions can you expect. The extractor is an Aftec and the gun dosen't want to go into battery. Super rounds are pretty tight when you try to slide them under the extractor. I just borrowed some super comp rounds from a friend and they slide under with ease. Please help

I know that but I think my gun is tuned for comp and it is supposed to be a super. I borrowed some super comp rounds from a friend a few min ago and will try the at the range tomorrow. Just wanted to know what I can expect in the way of malfunctions when you try to run super in a super comp tuned gun.

I don't know what extractor it has. It is a 2 month old custom built gun

(see Avatar) so I have never taken it out. The gun just will not go into battery all the time sometimes I can push on the slide and it will go in sometimes not. This has got me going crazy since I have two big matches comming up in the next two weeks.

I found some trash in the extractor channel and cleaned it out. The super rounds will go under the extractor and stay there. The super comp rounds will not stay in the breachface when slid under the extractor. From the old days when tuning a 45 extractor you wanted the round to stay in the breach. I know nothing about an Aftec I don't want to pull it all the way out because im not sure I will be able to get it back in.

If you gun is super-comp all the way (ie, it has a 9mm insteadl of a 38 super breechface) the rounds won't fit in the breechface. Naturally, this means "zero tolerance" for regular 38 super is such a 38 super comp guns (but may conventional 38 super guns seem to run just fine with Supercomp brass and tolerate the occasional supercomp load in a batch of supers).

My Capsian .38 Super with standard solid extractor will feed standard Super, Supercomp, TJ, or even the occasional 9x23 if it was run through my Square deal-B press. :o

Take the Aftec out and examine the markings on it.

Cleaned out all the freaking gunk in the extractor (Really nasty) and took it out today and ran 13 mags through it without a problem. Looks like I will have to start cleaning it a little better.

PS. Called Dan and he was ready to take it back and make sure it was right. Can't ask for more than that from a gunsmith.

PSS. Thanks to all the people that helped me last nite. This is a great place to ask questions and get answers