Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is The Winchester Sx2 Practical A 2 3/4" Or 3" Gun

DHart

Definitely must be for the new models. It makes me wonder if Winchester is using their sporting clays receiever/chambering for the newer guns. This would be in line with the new guns coming with two gas pistons like the sporting clays guns as well.

At any rate sorry for the misinformation. My MK I is a 3 inch and all that I have seen are marked the same.

Take care, Craig

At this point I have an easy 3k rounds through mine. It is completely stock and I have had no problems whatsoever. I had a few problems early on with 3 dram 1 oz loads but I can now attribute that to the stiffness of the new recoil spring. It will run anything I put in it now. I think it is more than trustworthy for defense with the exception of its length.

As far as 3 gun goes I think it is the go to gun. As a matter of fact I am currently getting a 24" Turkey model prepped for open class.

If you get a chance get one. They beat the snot out of any 1100 for reliability and I think they are a little more versatile than the Benelli.

Take care, Craig

Craig,

any update re the modifing the speed loaders to fit the SX / Gold frame - a few Open shooters in the UK want to switch to them away from their Remmys (good idea ! :ph34r: ) - is anyone working on this ??

I know we were talking about this 6 months or so ago but dont know if anyone has come up with anything.

Craig... my prediction has come true... now there's a Practical Mk I in my present. I couldn't hold out any longer so I bagged the one at my local Sportsmens Warehouse. The $100 rebate helped push me over the edge. The barrel and tube had a scratch, so they knocked off $45 for that... giving me a final price of $744, no shipping, no tax. Seemed like a pretty decent deal. Picked up some Birchwood-Casey aluminum Black which, I'm told, should completely cover and mask the scratch.

Funny thing... the barrel says "2 3/4" only but the label on the box says 3" chamber! I guess Winchester changed to the 2 3/4 chamber but continued using the older labels. No matter, 2 3/4" shells give me all that I desire from a shotgun.

I'll give her the virgin break-in later this afternoon to see how she runs...

Edited by DHart

Mike,

I haven't had any time to work on the open setup. Outside of being a fireman, I also work for Utah Task Force One (a federally funded Urban Search and Rescue Team) and most of September was spent in the Gulf Coast States chasing after Katrina and Rita. As a matter of fact I just barely got a second day of practice in since I saw you in New Mexico.

I think I will end up drilling and tapping the receiver for the DMW speedloader hooks sometime this off season. I will definitely let you know how it works out, complete with the measurements etc.

DHart, Congratulations you will find much happiness in your SX2. Get her broken in and then you can start giggling at 1100 shooters as they change broken O-rings.

Take care, Craig

After getting my 1100CM, I was very jazzed about that shotgun (and I still am), but now that I've got a Practical to compare it to, I'm really wowed. They're both great shotguns, but the Practical Mk I is really a slick machine with some features which give it the advantage.

This afternoon I bought the Winchester and disassembled it down to the trigger group, cleaned out the preservative, lubed it up with FP-10 (my favorite cleaner/lubricant/protectant) then went out on my property and proceeded to push a box of 25 Estate Heavy Game loads (3.25 dram 1 1/8 oz. #6 shot) through the gun. Not a bobble or stumble of any kind and at least half the box was shooting as rapidly as I could... the gun just flies and loves doing it! It's early yet, but perfect reliability using the lighter load gas piston so far. I think I'll stick with 3.25 dram 1 1/8 oz loads for the first 200 rounds or so as a break-in before I try the really light loads. My intended use for the gun is to be one of my home defense shotguns, so full pop 00 Buck will be what I load it with for "duty".

Here are some of the features of the Practical that I prefer over the 1100CM:

Here are some of the features of the Practical that I prefer over the 1100CM:

• the bolt release is easier to access and nicer to operate;

• the mag extension (permanent) is much smoother and more securely done and much better protected (it's inside the outer protective sleeve that's visible)... and it doesn't require a securing bracket. If the aluminum protective sleeve over the mag tube gets dinged or damaged, it can be replaced in about 5 seconds, just unscrew the mag cap and slide the sleeve off the gun - the extension itself stays in place and operational. The design of the entire mag extension on this gun is a master-touch, in my view.

• the built-in, cantilevered rail is really nice to add a holographic or other sight with no further ado (looks cool too);

• the flip down rear sight is very useful, convenient, and well designed

• the ability to use different gas pistons makes for great flexibility;

• no rubber o-rings to have to replace;

• the SX2 has the front sling attachment on the front of the forearm vs. having to use the barrel/tube bracket on the 1100CM (I don't like the bracket).

• the SX2 is easier to load... the carrier/elevator is a breeze to push up out of the way... with the 1100CM you have to make sure the shell pushes the little "release" lever which is nestled inside the carrier.

• the gun is designed to operate at amazing speed, capable of 5 shots in just 1/2 second - you can potentially empty the gun of it's 9 rounds into an attacker before the first empty hull even hits the deck! (This speed isn't really "necessary", but it's sure nice to have when you want it!)

None of these differences in the Practical, taken individually, are necessarily huge, but they all add up to make for a superior shotgun. Add to that the presumed longer life of the components (1100 parts are not known for longevity - from what I hear anyway) and that makes the SX2 just a head above the 1100CM in my book.

Things I prefer with the 1100CM:

• Slightly shorter LOP (about 13.5" vs. 14" with the Practical)

• Slightly shorter overall length (the 1100CM is nearly an inch shorter than the Practical)

• The forearm feels more solid and not "hollow" whereas the forearm on the Practical feels just a bit less solid and has a little "hollowness" feel to it.

• The entire gun has a solidness to it that just edges out the overall feel of the SX2... and I think most of this lies in the solid feel of the stock & forearm, nothing to do with the receiver.

• The fiber optic front sight is a tad larger and easier to pick up.

Personally I'm happy with both the 1100CM and the Practical... they're both great guns. But if I had to give one up, I'd keep the Practical for sure!

Win%20Pract%20Mk%20I.jpg

Edited by DHart

I also have a Winchester SX2 Practical. I started having problems with my 1100 at the Texas State 3-gun match. A friend of mine let me borrow his SX2 and it worked GREAT. Since then I have had one. I LIKE IT. B)

The older ones ( before January 2005 ) are 3" chambers. I have one of each 2 3/4 and 3". Newer one comes with 2 gas pistons. My 2 3/4 with the heavy piston in place will run 1 ounce loads super fast with very little recoil after i broke it in.

I have had some problems with heavy loads ( estate 1 1/4 ounce #6 & wolf slugs ) locking up in the chamber. So I polished the barell tang where the bolt hits just before the chamber to get rid of this problem and switched to federal law enforcement slugs and had no problems at RM3G.

I think this is a very fast shotgun for 3 gun, and I don't mind the extra weight over a 1100 and the recoil and sight recovery is faster than my Benelli.

good luck!

M188LR... what was the problem you were having with your 1100?

rm3gnr.... I'm curious to know more about the problem with heavier loads as I've only heard of problems running really light loads in new (not broken in) guns.

When you say Estate 1 1/4 oz. #6 shot "locked up in the chamber" do you mean it didn't drive the bolt back... the extractor couldn't pull the empty hull out of the chamber? Have you tried any buckshot and were there problems with that as well?

Edited by DHart

M188LR... what was the problem you were having with your 1100?

rm3gnr.... I'm curious to know more about the problem with heavier loads as I've only heard of problems running really light loads in new (not broken in) guns. 

When you say Estate 1 1/4 oz. #6 shot "locked up in the chamber" do you mean it didn't drive the bolt back... the extractor couldn't pull the empty hull out of the chamber?  Have you tried any buckshot and were there problems with that as well?

Hello, It happened the first time on a stage at the NM3g State Champ, I pulled these loads out of my bag ( and yes I had never shot them before, big mistake) to knock down some heavy set steels. The bolt locked up and it was very hard to get open.

After some testing I could see that the front of the bolt cams upward slightly into the barrel tang and that is where it was locking up. It also happens with 3 out of 10 wolf slugs. I have not fired any buckshot at all, and I have also not put the light piston in yet to try and duplicate the problem. I have talked to Winchester and they want to see the gun because there should not be a ridge forming in the barrel tang just behind the chamber. My friend purchased one at the same time and has not jammed but the ridge does form after about 250-300 rds.

Besides all this I love this shotgun and it did not fail at RM3G at all using Federal law enforcement slugs and Challenger 1 oz #8 birdshot, Also used Remington 1 1/8 oz 3" dr # 7 1/2 bird. Let me know what you think !