Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help needed with XL650 conversion install

Just got my 9mm conversion kit installed on my 650. I am having trouble getting the cases go into station 2 straight. They tilt a little bit when they get into station 2 and I have to nudge them with my finger to get them upright or the primer ends up getting crushed when I extended the operating arm. I bought the entire small primer assembly from Dillon so all I had to do was lift the old one off and bolt the new one on, so I don't think that is the problem. 

Here is a picture illustrating the issue

y4mRFzNovhMiCCiCrD5bEwf3dyFbdqnTxUXf6TTV

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=EC2B94013EFB07DF&resid=EC2B94013EFB07DF!3317&authkey=AAeCRIDoctOv-Ao

Edited by GregInAtl

You have to adjust the little metal arm that keeps the case snug into the shell plate. You can adjust it by turning the little screw that’s between the two cases in the picture you posted. The gap when properly adjusted should be the width of a piece of paper.

Keep in mind that since you’re converting from .45 to 9mm, the metal arm was set for the bigger diameter of the .45 case.

Good luck.

Edited by George16
Edited for additional info

21 minutes ago, George16 said:

You have to adjust the little metal arm that keeps the case snug into the shell plate. You can adjust it by turning the little screw that’s between the two cases in the picture you posted. The gap when properly adjusted should be the width of a piece of paper.

Keep in mind that since you’re converting from .45 to 9mm, the metal arm was set for the bigger diameter of the .45 case.

Good luck.

image.png.2d228903e3ab942de196c227d98f6a5a.png

Edited by GregInAtl

Just now, GregInAtl said:

That screw and arm appears to be part of the primer assembly which is for small primer. I am surprised Dillon didn't have it set correctly when they sen it to me

That sucks. It doesn’t take much to adjust. Make sure you have a case in both stations 1 and 2 while doing the adjustments.

I tried your suggestion and it seems to have corrected the problem. I didn't see anything in the 650 Instruction Manual about having to do that, but it makes sense. That's what's great about this forum, you can get help for just about anything pertaining to reloading

Thanks so much

I loaded a few rounds after making the adjustment above. Suddenly this item fell on the floor. I wasn't sure if it was from my press or not. I just now figure it out:
image.png.fe70ac421ba30b639c3d6d12eddbd18c.png

It goes underneath the arm I just adjusted.

Edited by GregInAtl

1 hour ago, GregInAtl said:

I loaded a few rounds after making the adjustment above. Suddenly this item fell on the floor. I wasn't sure if it was from my press or not. I just now figure it out:
image.png.fe70ac421ba30b639c3d6d12eddbd18c.png

It goes underneath the arm I just adjusted.

That’s the locator tab (arm you just adjusted) spring which keeps the arm spring loaded to keep the case in place. Put it back underneath the locator tab. Make sure you didn’t loosen up the screw too much. Tighten it enough to keep the locator tab and locator tab spring in place while maintaining correct locator tab tension on the case.

I spoke to Dillon support on the phone and according to them the hole in the side of the primer feed body is where the adjustment needs to be made. They referred me to fig 194 in the 650 Instructions.

image.png.8242db61207424abcbd56af3f9de4c4c.png

• 4 weeks later...
I spoke to Dillon support on the phone and according to them the hole in the side of the primer feed body is where the adjustment needs to be made. They referred me to fig 194 in the 650 Instructions.
image.png.8242db61207424abcbd56af3f9de4c4c.png

Thank you for sharing this info, I was crushing FED Sm Pistol primers after converting a 650 that had been previously configured for 44-40. I adjusted as instructed per fig 194 & 195, now the press functions perfectly.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...