Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Understanding Match Results

boo radley

I shot my first major match this past weekend, and was looking at the results and seeing where I could improve. :)

The results are broken down into:

By stage -- I understand this, and see how hit factors are calculated

By class & overall -- here there are two values: 'Match Points' and 'Percent', where the top shooter in the Division gets 100%, and everyone else gets a percentage of that...

But what are Match Points? How are they calculated? I'd like to play around with adjusting my points/times on a stage and seeing what difference they would have made on the overall Match Points, but am unsure how.

Thx

This is probably discussed elsewhere already, but I don't feel like doing a search to point to the answer :) heh heh....

Match points are the total of your stage points. So, adjust your points/time on a stage. Recalculate your hit factor, and then your stage percentage (divide your HF by the stage winner's HF). Multiply that percentage by the max points on the stage to get stage points. Subtract your old stage points result from your match points total, and add in the adjusted stage points - then look at where you end up.

The match winner is the guy with the most match points. Everyone else is ranked below that person...

The only thing that matters is hit factor, which you get from score and time. Hit factors are compared, the best gets all of the stage (match) points and the rest get a percentage of the points, as their hit factors relate to the top hit factor.

In a two-person match, if you score 9.123 hit factor on a 32 round stage and I score 8.456, you get 100% of the 160 points and I get 92.68% of those points (because my HF is 92.68% of the high HF).

*Thx* all -- this is helpful stuff. I searched on "match points" and not "stage points", initially....

Let me see if have this right:

I made a major mistake on one stage: in the walk-thru I completely ignored one target; I noticed it but didn't plan for it. Naturally when I shot the stage itself, it was invisible. :(

So for this 160pt stage:

Winner: GM Open 149 0 24.55 6.0692

Me: C Limited 10 136 30 45.37 2.3363

If my math is correct, that's....61.59 stage points?

Now, if I had *seen* the %*@^() target, and it was easy and close and add 1 second, and I assume two A's (10pts?)

146 0 46.37 3.1486 for 83 stage points.

So if I add the difference (approx 21.5 points) to my total match points...wow. I would have climbed two places. :blink:

Maybe I'm happier not playing this "what-if" game in retrospect!

Something to think about on that, one FTE, two mikes and the two alpha you didn't get, that's 40 points (30 pen +2 alpha) you didn't get on that stage. Remember when the score is posted, you're points listed is what you got, then subtract your penalty then divide by time for the hit factor. I'm not sure if you understood that or not, if so good then, else you learned!

My "what if" game I normally opt for two charlie (minor) instead of alpha.

Boo,

I'm guessing you shot the NC state match.? It's hard to tell the break down from those scores because they have all divisions in one list instead of separated by division. I wanted to know my percentage of the top limited shooter, not the top open shooter. (with out having to set down with the calculator for an hour)

Boo,

I'm guessing you shot the NC state match.?  It's hard to tell the break down from those scores because they have all divisions in one list instead of separated by division.  I wanted to know my percentage of the top limited shooter, not the top open shooter.  (with out having to set down with the calculator for an hour)

Yup, that was the one....Fireant, if you go here: http://www.sirwaltergunclub.com/match/index.htm you can see everything broken down by division, class, etc. That was up Sunday evening, in fact -- the folks at Sir Walter do a pretty amazing job...

What did you think? It was my first major match, and I ended up reasonably happy. I had no idea what to expect in terms of difficulty, and as I walked around the stages Sunday AM, I thought, "Wow -- I can shoot this stuff...." My confidence was pretty high, too, coming off a 2-day course from Frank Garcia, and I'm not terribly displeased with middle-of-pack results. Had 4 mikes total, along with the FTE, but 0 no-shoots; I'm beginning to make some baby-steps.

The %#*(@ target I missed was on the Matrix Revolutions stage, in that array with the swinger/turner thing activated by stepping on the plate. I got so engrossed with that, I completely didn't plan for, nor see, the cardboard target close left. <sigh>

I also didn't much like going prone for "Fish in a Barrel." But I had a lot of fun, and can't wait next year to shoot some larger matches.

Steve

I've been to about 10 or so major matches and I can say that these stages were very fun to shoot. Those guys did an amazing job. The time schedules were top notch. I shoot Sat. afternoon and it went very smooth. My shooting on the other hand was not up to par. I'm a C class shooter with a B class card. Like you I'm happy with middle of the pack. I had my best finish percentage wise against Stradder that I've ever had. I had a few comments in fun to the designer of the fish in a barrel stage. He is not nearly as tall as I am. I went for broke on that one with no reload as I went prone to save time. I thank Beven Gram everytime I can do that. My shooting buddies and I have added it to the list for next year. Well worth the 7 + hour drive we made.