Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Mag Release on Shadow 1

Malarky112

So this is a two parter. I’ve read some of the other stuff in the forums regarding the Shadow 2 in IDPA. It seems inconclusive if you could make the Shadow 2 legal for SSP. 

First I’d like to put a Shadow 2 mag release on my Shadow 1. I shoot CO so I’m assuming this would be legal since I know lots of Shadow 2’s shoot in CO. Please correct me if I’m wrong here. 

My buddy also wants the same thing except he shoots ESP and SSP. 
Most ppl say that this is not a legal mod. His argument is that the only thing keeping a Shadow 2 from being legal in those divisions is the weight, and it sounds like some ppl have successfully shot those divisions with a lightened Shadow 2. 

Thoughts? 

Here is the quote from the rulebook to save you some time:

Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP 
legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in 
replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that 
are available installed only from a factory custom shop are not eligible in SSP.

The Shadow 2 isn't legal in SSP due to weight.  You can mill it to drop weight and it'll be ESP legal. 

I don't think anyone is shooting a shadow 2 in SSP in major matches. 

Edit - I don't think the shadow 2 mag release is legal because it's not a SSP legal gun

Edit again- I remember reading the shadow 2 is too tall to fit in the box. So there's something else that might be keeping it legal

Edited by MarilynMonbro

Shadow 2 Mag release with the paddle is not legal for IDPA in any division. I got DQ'ed at Texas state last year for running one on my Shadow 1 in ESP. Here's the rule:

8.1.7 Allowable Modifications for All Divisions

The following modification rules apply to firearms in all divisions.

D. An extended magazine release button may not be oversized in diameter or protrude more than 0.2” out from the frame. The measurement is taken at the rear most part of the magazine release, where it exits the frame. When the magazine release area is recessed into the grip frame, the grip frame to the rear of the recess is used as the base of the measurement.

9 hours ago, Archangelgt said:

Shadow 2 Mag release with the paddle is not legal for IDPA in any division. I got DQ'ed at Texas state last year for running one on my Shadow 1 in ESP. Here's the rule:

8.1.7 Allowable Modifications for All Divisions

The following modification rules apply to firearms in all divisions.

D. An extended magazine release button may not be oversized in diameter or protrude more than 0.2” out from the frame. The measurement is taken at the rear most part of the magazine release, where it exits the frame. When the magazine release area is recessed into the grip frame, the grip frame to the rear of the recess is used as the base of the measurement.

Hmmm. That’s interesting because it’s not an oversized mag release it’s stock on the Shadow 2. My buddy has shot a bunch of major matches and never gotten DQ’d with the shadow 2 in CO. 

Thank you for the real world expierence. 

Edited by Malarky112

The way it was ruled on for me is that the bolt on paddle portion of the S2  mag release = an oversized magazine release button. Bc the diameter of the paddle/button, has a larger OD than what it attaches to. I wasn’t the only one DQed bc of it. I think at least one guy running a 2011 was DQed for the same thing.

Also doesn’t matter if it’s Stock on the gun, it still is what it is. E.g. you can’t argue that the Magwell on a SIG X5 is just part of the frame and run it in SSP bc it comes installed from the factory. 

6 hours ago, Archangelgt said:

The way it was ruled on for me is that the bolt on paddle portion of the S2  mag release = an oversized magazine release button. Bc the diameter of the paddle/button, has a larger OD than what it attaches to. I wasn’t the only one DQed bc of it. I think at least one guy running a 2011 was DQed for the same thing.

Also doesn’t matter if it’s Stock on the gun, it still is what it is. E.g. you can’t argue that the Magwell on a SIG X5 is just part of the frame and run it in SSP bc it comes installed from the factory. 

So in that way even using it on an S2 should be illegal. 

Not if you swap out the S2 mag release, or just remove the mag button and it meets the other criteria. 

Using the X5 example, take the off the magwell and it's ok to use in SSP, even though it came with it on from the factory. 

Basically with IDPA it's not about what came factory on the gun, it's just that the gun has to be setup correctly for the division, and their overall rules. It's not like USPSA production where there's a list of approved guns. 

In the rule it refers to "oversized in diameter". There's threads here on enos I found via google when I researched it after my DQ. You can email IDPA a pic of the S2 mag release, it's their rules, their definition. I've emailed them in the past about other mods, and they've gotten back to me in a few days. 

Response from my area coordinator says about the same thing as you. 
a buddy of mine has shot 6 major matches with CO Shadow 2 with stock mag release so I guess it’s really about who’s checking. 

“Thanks for your question.  The Shadow 2 is not legal in any division of IDPA.  First because of weight.  Possibly it could be trimmed down to make the 45oz limit in CO but the magazine release is the main problem.  Rule 8.1.7 D applies to every division and Shadow 2 magazine release is not legal.  To compete with the gun in CO would require a legal magazine release.   
I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.