Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting while moving?

motosapiens

Maybe a little history on Steel Challenge would help. Here is the link to an interview with Jim O'Young,

Around about the 23 min mark he explains the mindset of the RO's was to give you and everyone else whatever you needed to do your absolute best.

Also, anyone that is already a NROI certified RO can take the additional instruction and test to add the SCSA endorsement to their RO status. Adding the endorsement helps with learning the rules specific to SCSA and will lead to a better understanding of the rules and will also give you the knowledge to be able to advocate for yourself if you happen to run into an RO that is less knowledgeable of the SCSA rules. There is no cost to add the endorsement just a little time well spent if you intend on pursuing more Steel Challenge shooting. 

38 minutes ago, Gregg K said:

Maybe a little history on Steel Challenge would help. Here is the link to an interview with Jim O'Young,

Around about the 23 min mark he explains the mindset of the RO's was to give you and everyone else whatever you needed to do your absolute best.

Also, anyone that is already a NROI certified RO can take the additional instruction and test to add the SCSA endorsement to their RO status. Adding the endorsement helps with learning the rules specific to SCSA and will lead to a better understanding of the rules and will also give you the knowledge to be able to advocate for yourself if you happen to run into an RO that is less knowledgeable of the SCSA rules. There is no cost to add the endorsement just a little time well spent if you intend on pursuing more Steel Challenge 

Thanks Gregg K, I will check that out later this evening. I do intend to get the SCSA endorsement. I've been a CRO in uspsa and worked major matches for years, and I agree it is very helpful for a competitor to have the best possible understanding of the rules.

12 hours ago, motosapiens said:

My opinion only, but i would say consistent cadence is *unfair*. I can't imagine why someone would come up with that recommendation. It's clearly an advantage to the shooter who is lucky enough to get a consistent start beep at the same cadence as the other commands, and a disadvantage to anyone who gets a longer delay before the start beep. If you just vary the delay a little on every string, every shooter will have to wait for the actual beep, and not try to time it or anticipate it.

but change my mind.... perhaps someone can explain to me how it is beneficial to vary the beep delay between shooters, but give each shooter a predictable cadence that can be anticipated? And is it really going to be the same level of consistency (and therefore ability to anticipate) for everyone? Is it easier to be consistent with a shorter delay, or with a longer one? Is there any recourse for the shooter who gets the longer delay, and likely more variability, and thus less ability to anticipate? 

Perhaps this is implemented differently than what I'm envisioning when I read it, and perhaps it makes more sense on the ground.

My comments represents training specifically for Steel Challenge matches.   Steel Challenge is a very fast game.   At the higher tier matches there are assigned RO's.  One reason is for consistency.   The goal is for all shooters to perform at their very best level and not to interfere with the shooter.  Once there is a mindset to change up cadence for a single shooter within the 5 strings it could effect a shooters performance. 

Good RO's that I have observed and shot with have a smooth, consistent cadence and use the rules to check up a shooter.   RO's at the higher tier matches will uniformly apply procedural calls for jumping the timer.  A 3 second penalty applied to a 1.65 second Smoke and Hope is a stage and match killer so most shooters that are serious train themselves to listen for and react to the buzzer. 

I personally use a Shooter Ready, Standby....(silent one, two) buzzer count and practice this so I am consistent with ever shooter I RO.   BUT, I do use the 3 second procedural hammer if the shot is broken before the buzzer.  After a (very few) warning of creeping, etc., I will invoke procedurals.  I personally believe this is the fair method and one that represents best the rules and good sportsmanship.

At Tier 1 matches we see introductory level shooters, etc.  We use our RO position to also teach new shooters their procedural mistakes thru warnings and an explanation of what they did.   Of course, safety violations are automatic DQ....one and done.  

I think your comment of being "on the ground" is a good suggestion.  

Happy shooting.................good conversation.

A learned friend of mine who is expert at the SC rules just pointed out a statement I made in my previous post regarding creeping.  For clarity of what I was saying about creeping or false starts.  Best explanation for procedure assessment is covered by SCSA rule 7.1 and 7.1.1 on page 19.

7.1 Creeping.  A competitor who is creeping (e.g. moving hands towards the firearm, or physically moving to a more advantageous shooting position or posture AT the start signal) shall receive a 3 second procedural penalty.  If the competitor is moving prior to the start signal, he shall be stopped and restarted Once still and in the correct position.  In the event that the RO cannot stop the competitor prior to the start signal, the competitor will incur a 3 second penalty.

7.1.1.  In the event that a competitor begins his attempt at the course of fire prematurely (false start prior to the issuance of the start signal) the Range Officer will, as soon as possible, stop and restart the competitor once the course of fire has been restored.  Attempt means that the gun has been drawn and/or shots fired, but the timer has been started.

PCC and RimFire shooters need to be holding steady aiming at the cone until the start signal.  

My own experience is this solves creeping much more effectively than jumping around on the cadence and count.