Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a plumber in the house?

Hey plumbers. I just ran some CPVC lines and used the orange cement made for CPVC. Just read the label and it says leave water off 12-24 hours! I kind of need to get the water back on LOL. Does it really need to cure that long?

It shouldn't. The reason they want you to leave it off is to cure and so you won't taste it. It really only takes about 2 hours to completely cure.

Per Oatey 

Hold pipe and fitting together for 30 seconds to prevent pipe push-out - longer at low temperatures. Wipe off excess. 10. Allow 15 minutes for good handling strength and 2 hours cure time at temperatures above 60°F before pressure testing up to 180 psi.

54 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

It shouldn't. The reason they want you to leave it off is to cure and so you won't taste it. It really only takes about 2 hours to completely cure.

Per Oatey 

Hold pipe and fitting together for 30 seconds to prevent pipe push-out - longer at low temperatures. Wipe off excess. 10. Allow 15 minutes for good handling strength and 2 hours cure time at temperatures above 60°F before pressure testing up to 180 psi.

That’s the funny thing. I checked the website and found what you posted but the label on the can says 12-24 hours. That’s what threw me. I have always just glued PVC and turned the water back on but this orange CPVC glue seems different. 

For the night I turned the water on and no leaks. But I had to come home so I turned the water back off since nobody is home there tonight.