Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load for Primary Machine comp on P09

GMP

So I'm building a CZ P09 into a quasi open gun to use in local knockdown and steel challenge matches where PF is N/A.   Also because I just like to build and mod things.  Planning on a PM threaded barrel and comp to finish it off.  My question to you guys with experience loading for the small 2 port comps is what is the sweet spot?  That is the point of peak effectiveness of the comp and/or minimal muzzle flip of the gun, while providing good accuracy of course?  I imagine something a bit over minor with a slower powder than Sport Pistol which I use for my minor loads now.  I have a couple lbs of both Power Pistol and BE86.  Not slow enough for a real open major/big comp load I know but maybe in the ballpark for this application?  Thanks.

Edited by GMP

I shot a P-09 for a couple years in local USPSA matches with major PF ammo, also shot some local Action Pistol matches shooting hottish minor PF ammo.  The good news is the P-09 is an exceptionally accurate gun.  Mine will shoot sub 1" groups at 25yds with a pretty wide range of loads.  I used the Springer Precision comp and it did a remarkably good job with major PF ammo for what it is.  I found VV3N38 the best choice for major PF ammo with Accurate #7 being a close 2nd.  Running around 170PF  the gun ran remarkably flat and fairly soft while still keeping tight groups.  That being said I did have some loads in the 150PF range using autocomp powder that were very accurate too.

I have a lot of load data at home for that gun but its all with the stock CZ threaded barrel and a slightly different comp so not  sure how well it would transfer to what you are doing.  I can put some up if you are interested.

nGirtY1.jpg

GMP, you bought a 2-port comp, so that is going to limit what you can do.  The ideal load is to make enough gas to work all the comp ports/baffles with almost none of it exiting the front of the comp.  That will be the softest and flattest.  Any more gas than that and it jets out the front and increases recoil.  Any less than that and you do not get as much softening as you could.  It will hit your hand harder.

You can start out with a mid range PF, but I think you will end up going lower.  Bullet choice plays a part. For minor and a 115, the slow powders like Major Pistol, AA7 and 3N38 are too slow unless you want to be up around 150+PF.  They may be perfect for a 124, just because you need less powder, so less gas.  For 115s I'd go with something like AutoComp, Silhouette or CFE.

Power Pistol is around AutoComp burn rate, so start with that.  BE-86 is a little faster.  Load up a ladder with each weight bullet and powder.  Hold the muzzle a couple of inches away front of a no shoot target and fire.  When you start to get more than a little splattering of debris on the white, the load is a little too hot.  Back off the powder charge a tad and you'll be right where you want to be.

Thanks for the replies.  Dave33,. I've seen your posts here and on CZ Forums and its in part what motivated me.  The gun is very accurate now and is fully Cajunized .  Also has a frame mounted Holosun 507C.  Interesting what you did to your grip,. I have the same opinion I guess as I'm building it up as well in the same area.  I'm layering pieces of skate tape.  When it's to my liking I'll measure it and then do it in Silicon Carbide.  The big job will be the SAO conversion and removal of the take up in SA.  

Zzt,. Yes I know it's not a full race comp with 5 ports.  I'm familiar with that.  I have no expectations of this being a real open gun, it's just for fun in steel matches.  What you suggest is what I figured.  Something just over minor with a slower powder than typical used for minor.  I was asking if anyone has been down this road of load development for the small 2 port comps.  Thanks again.