Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using a 750?

I'm pretty sure there are a number of folks on here who are using the 750 - I'm not one of them, I'm just a lowly 550 user - but I know that I have seen them discussed here and there.

The general consensus seems to be that they are solid, but that Dillon moved to a 550 style of priming system rather than the system the 650 used, and it generally isn't has highly regarded.

Edited by trickg

21 hours ago, trickg said:

Dillon moved to a 550 style of priming system rather than the system the 650 used, and it generally isn't has highly regarded.

But note that the 550 style priming system is also similar to the 1050's. On the 550, priming and depriming are done at the same station and it tends to get a little messy. I haven't heard as many complaints about the 1050's priming. I would expect the 750's priming to have fewer issues than the 550.

I slightly prefer the 550's priming system over the wheel of the 650, but the primer feed stop available on eBay makes them more comparable.

37 minutes ago, belus said:

I slightly prefer the 550's priming system over the wheel of the 650, but the primer feed stop available on eBay makes them more comparable.

Now that's interesting - you seem to be in the minority when it comes the priming systems on the 550 and 650 - it seems that most people prefer the 650.

I have a 750 upgraded from the 550 - I am happy with the upgrade.  I have loaded 2000 rounds of 9mm And 2300 rounds of 45 ACP using SNS coated bullets.  

Yes as with any press I had to learn how it functioned and make a few adjustments.

Primer system works well, yes it stays much cleaner which helps.

The primer bars lg and sm are different in that there is a channel in the bottom - not solid with the diagonal slots.

the one thing I found is that while Dillon sells a 550/750 Allen tool set - I need the tool set for the 650 for the primer slider bar adjustment screw and casefeed arm adjustment screw use the 5/64 Allen head wrench. 

So overall I am happy with the performance and build. 

Jim

• 1 month later...

I have the 750 and 650, I like the new priming system much better than the rotary on the 650. The indexing of the shellplate seems smoother, less powder spillage loading 9s (750 is for small primers, 650 large primers). If you have a 650, I wouldn’t upgrade, I got tired of changing from small to large primers on the 650, this is the only reason I bought the 750. So far , I am happy with the 750, if you don’t have a 650 and in the market to purchase a similar press then consider the 750, I don’t think you would be disappointed.

I upgraded from a 550 to a xl750. once I worked out the bugs it runs great . it had a few problems. The biggest was the primmer guide wheel would not return because it kept hanging up. I found a spring in a Home Depot pack that fit over the shaft and put the guide back on then the clip . This kept it out so it didn't hang up anymore and it was fine . 

Edited by Bmans45