Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Foreign Shooter Invitation Letter

Sarge

Most of the US Letters use a template that in the past was readily available from the USPSA website.  I've had match directors act like I'm trying to pull something on them requesting the letter but it is as simple as if US Customs asks for it I need it as well as my ATF Form 6 to cross the border or they can turn me around.  This is a basic copy of a match invitation taken from mine recently received for USPSA Hicap Nationals.  Because this one was for Nats and came for HQ it's signed by Foley otherwise it's usually simply the match official in charge of registration or the match director.  I've also had blanket ones for club matches that simply lists their schedule for the season on the invite so I don't need to get one every two weeks.

August 26, 2019

John Doe
123 Any Street
Winnipeg, MB R2C 3K7
Canada

Dear Mr. Doe,

You are cordially invited to attend the USPSA HiCap National Championship to be held September 22-September 28, 2019 in St. George Utah.

DO NOT DISCARD THIS LETTER. As a visitor to the United States, you will need this letter to qualify for a “Form 6” import permit allowing you to bring your firearms into the United States. You will be asked to present an itinerary, and may be asked to show your USPSA membership card (we suggest you attach copies of both to your Form 6 application). As a competitor, you qualify for the sport shooting exemption that allows a foreign national to possess a firearm while attending shooting events in the United States.

According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF) you must submit a copy of this letter, along with your Form 6 application to the BATF Import Branch in Washington, D.C. 90 days prior to your travel dates to ensure the paperwork will be completed on time. A separate Form 6 is needed for each event you attend. Please pay close attention to this requirement while traveling in our country.

For more information on the import process, go to the following BATF website: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/022002form6updates.htm . Then contact the BATF Import Branch directly at (202) 927-8320 for a form with instructions.
If you have further questions, please contact me at the numbers listed on this page.

Sincerely,
Mike Foley
USPSA President

Edited by Chili

I guess my concern is the wording in the law that says they are supposed to be sent individually, or at least that’s how I read it? I have been doing them for years but have always had shooters ask me for one. I have never put it on FB, or on match webpage or in matchbook for folks just to download and print based on how I read the law. 

I've seen a bit of both, in some matches they simply send me one as soon as they notice I am a foreign shooter and others have a generic one posted where I add my info but that is not real common, the more common is me requesting one and getting it directly.  It's almost a waste as It is no longer required for me to have one to get a form 6 like it was in the past but if the border agent asks and I don't have it then it can become a major issue even though it is technically no longer required.  I think I have been asked to produce my match invite twice in the last 40 or 50 crossings.