Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pilla Panther X-7

cbrussell

I guess I will email Max Michel to see what lens color he recommends? I wish I could find some on sale, but it looks like that is not in the cards. Oh well, cry once buy once, or however that saying goes.

Lens color (shade) is so subjective,  I shoot a lot of trap, and I have a ton of

inserts for my Decot International frames.  What I choose in August is not the

same shade I would use  in overcast December.  Shoot with as many colors

as you can before making a purchase.

15 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I guess I will email Max Michel to see what lens color he recommends? I wish I could find some on sale, but it looks like that is not in the cards. Oh well, cry once buy once, or however that saying goes.

If you find the answer, please let us know here. When I shoot irons, I shoot with a green fiber. Max and the guy at Pilla seemed more interested in what environment I was shooting in such as mostly green vs desert, and dot vs irons rather than what color dot. I have 3 lenses that I bought as a set from them for basically different lighting conditions but the colors are all pretty similar. Something to know too, there are two shapes to the lenses, a more rounded shape, and a shape that’s more like a bat wing that flares out at the bottom. Some lenses are only available in the more rounded shape, but my understanding is that the bat wing type shape is the newer shape.

A question Siverscooby27; what colors did they recommend for what conditions? I see where they make two different sets so wondering which of those lens choices might cover the most conditions.

Thanks again for the help.

If you call them you can get any 3 lenses you want as part of a set. I’m using 94HC, 54 HC and 26 ED. The numbers are for the amount of light transmission. 94 for indoor range or very cloudy days, 54 HC for kinda cloudy and 26 ED for very sunny. I shoot on mostly green surroundings, shoot mostly a red dot irons is green fiber. This was per Max Michel. The guys at Pilla recommended 80 HC, 48 RHC and 18 CED. 

Cbrussell, there's a Pilla dealer in Glenburnie.  I would suggest taking a drive over to see what lens work for you.

I ordered my glasses directly from Pilla using the recommendation above.  Unfortunately, I have no nose bridge so the regular Panther X-7 didn't fit me well so I made the trek up to visit their corporate office.  I tried on the Panther X-7 Post and this fit me much better.  I also tried the Outlaw which actually fits very well as well.

I also got to try a bunch of different lens and I swapped out the 48 RHC with a PC lens instead.  In bright sunlight, the 18 CED is my favorite now although I did use the PC lens for a while.  I have only tried the 80 HC at home but don't really shoot indoors so I have not really used it.