Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super to 9mm major conversion recommendations

vgdvc

Hello. I did a search for this but didn't find what I'm looking for.I'm considering having my open pistol converted to shoot 9mm Major. Currently is a .38 Super Brazos Custom,5"Trubor with 4 popple holes. Runs perfect and will also shoot Supercomp. Looking for advice and recommended Smith's to do the work,thanks.

16 minutes ago, Hawk21 said:

Don Fredenhagen at Venom Custom did this to a buddies DVC open and it’s eats anything he throws at it.  Easiest to find him on Facebook if you are on there.

7 minutes ago, tanfoglio1911 said:

I highly recommend Venom Custom. Don just converted my STI Competitor 38SC to 9major. 93a0b437f0ef7cd7a000bcf973aa4865.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll contact him as an option. What was done and approx. cost if I may ask?

Thanks. I'll contact him as an option. What was done and approx. cost if I may ask?
Price will really varies on the parts that you will pick. He replaced the ejector and put a new upper (slide, barrel and comp) on my build. If you are in a tight budget, he can just put a new barrel and fit it.

3 hours ago, tanfoglio1911 said:

I highly recommend Venom Custom. Don just converted my STI Competitor 38SC to 9major. 93a0b437f0ef7cd7a000bcf973aa4865.jpg

Wow what coating did you use on the pistol? Looks clean and not too shiny 👍

6 hours ago, tanfoglio1911 said:

Price will really varies on the parts that you will pick. He replaced the ejector and put a new upper (slide, barrel and comp) on my build. If you are in a tight budget, he can just put a new barrel and fit it.

Got it, thanks. I'm hoping to keep it simple as possible maybe fitting a new barrel and possibly extractor if the ejector length works also. It feeds/ejects9mm by hand cycling now so we'll see. Awesome looking pistol you have BTW.

The simplest was to convert to 9mm is to buy a new Trubore blank and have it fitted.  I bought two from aircoller6racer with his custom comp cuts and fit them to my two new builds.  He places the ports way forward, so you have room to add two 3/16" poppels in the comp itself.  This way you end up with an almost identical feel when you are done.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

The simplest was to convert to 9mm is to buy a new Trubore blank and have it fitted.  I bought two from aircoller6racer with his custom comp cuts and fit them to my two new builds.  He places the ports way forward, so you have room to add two 3/16" poppels in the comp itself.  This way you end up with an almost identical feel when you are done.

This is the direction I'm hoping to go with. Do you have contact information from the source where you purchase the barrels and do you know if they do fitting? Thanks.

I purchased the barrel from Eric (aircooled6racer).  That's his handle on these forums.  Send him a PM.  He builds his own guns (lots of them) so he may fit the barrel for you.  If not, there are any number of local competent gunsmiths who can do that for you.  If not, Hellfire Custom Guns is relatively close to you.  Scott can do all you need, including building you a complete new gun.

If Eric doesn't have one available, you can buy one online and send it to him for the comp cuts.  You definitely want someone to fit it for you, because it is a PITA.  You can't even get the barrel into the slide until you remove a lot of material from the barrel.  I have no idea why STI decided to machine them htat way.  Probably to cut costs.