Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Similarities Between Racing And Shooting

Here's some I can think of, how bout you?

1. Look where you want to go, not where you've been

2. Smooth is fast

3. Plan your runs

4. There are places where you go fast and there are places where you go slow.

Go fast in the fast places and slow in the slow places. That 1st gear corner can't be taken well in 2nd gear, and that 50 yard standards will not be shot at the same pace as a 5 yard array.

what else?

Being an occasional autocrosser, I've been tossing this about for awhile....

I used to autocross, i think it's an apt comparison. Autocrossing is an adrenaline fueled quick run that is a lot of fun. IPSC can be the same way. i think being successful at both requires good planning, the right mental preparation and smooth execution.

Well now I know why I will never make it to Master class!!! Hardcore Drag racer!!!!! 10.5 Outlaw car

Turn up the wick all the time. Why run 400hp shot of nitrous when you can run 800hp shot!!! Got to love the sound of 1600 hp!!!!! Until the convertor lets loose!!! Last month!!!! Thank Goodness for rev-limiters!!!

You can never go smooth when you have a 3000lbs car on 33x10.5 slicks running 5's in 1\8 mile at 141mph!!

Only plan we make is at the light when it's time to GO!

And you want to be fast everywhere!!!

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

By the way I am big autocross fan!!! We have an track down here!!!

I've always thought it was interesting to see the crossover between those that race something and those that shoot IPSC. At least in the U.S., it seems that many of the IPSC shooters I know race or raced karts, motorcycles, or cars.

For example, I first met Carlos in regard to a motorcycle-related project (buying parts off of his friend's racebike). I was surprised to see him again later at a bowling pin shoot.

"2. Smooth is fast

3. Plan your runs"

-agree. As far as "plan your turns" that is a good analogy. In racing, a fast turn is planned out during practice useing "markers" for braking, turn-in points, etc. ALso, during practice, the racer seeks out the "fast line" through a turn.

a walk-through is nothing more than one or several "practice laps" on an unfamiliar race track. The top shooters will plan out their path through a COF based on the fast line and pick out exact foot positions; just as there are many way to shoot a COF, there are many ways to ride a race bike through a turn.

Mark - what year was that again? Gawd - must have been 1995 or so.

I've always thought it was interesting to see the crossover between those that race something and those that shoot IPSC.  At least in the U.S., it seems that many of the IPSC shooters I know race or raced karts, motorcycles, or cars.

For example, I first met Carlos in regard to a motorcycle-related project (buying parts off of his friend's racebike).  I was surprised to see him again later at a bowling pin shoot.

I think it was around 98 or 99. Anyhow, when I get back east, I might be looking into racing something if I can pull it and IPSC off...autocross, or maybe karts. Know much about karts?

Here's some I can think of, how bout you?

1.  Look where you want to go, not where you've been

2.  Smooth is fast

3.  Plan your runs

4.  There are places where you go fast and there are places where you go slow. 

what else?

Being an occasional autocrosser, I've been tossing this about for awhile....

5. Both are very expensive hobbies :P

Seriously, I have noticed that those that have a competitive mentality, and seem more like racers, usually do well in IPSC.... guys that "love guns" and "like to shoot" aren't generally top competitors.... but guys who hate to lose are. I used to race motorcycles, and autocross..... (and Radio Control cars, even.....) and now I race guns. Same type thing. But they ARE all expensive. :wacko:

Edited by sfinney

I've always thought it was interesting to see the crossover between those that race something and those that shoot IPSC.  At least in the U.S., it seems that many of the IPSC shooters I know race or raced karts, motorcycles, or cars.

As a reformed Kart racer I can tell you that racing is racing. Any sport that has a green flag (or start beep) and a course to get to the checker flag ( Or last shot fired) is definately a race. Since getting into these run and gun shoots, or even the steel shoots, I have pulled from my experiences in racing. Three racing sayings come to mind here: Smooth IS faster, slow down to speed up, and finally To finish first- First you have to finish. Ok that last may be corny but true none the less.

While I was into Kart racing, I used to sit in the pits between heats, eyes closed and doing mentals "laps" while holding a stop watch. I could close the eyes, envision running the course, start the stop watch as I saw myselfcrossing the start flag and hit the stop when I saw the checker flag. If I was really in tune with everything my times on the stop watch were within tenths of my lap times. I have seen more than a few better shooters trying to do similar things when on deck "seeing" themselves going through the stages.

On the expense side though, SO FAR, the gun racing has been cheaper running my son and I, than Kart racing for myself. An average Kart racer now comes to the track towing his enclosed trailer with at least one spare race ready chassis, and spares of any conceivable part. My last year racing I had spent over $20k and was badly out dollared by the big boys. This sport is CHEAP compared to that!!! Ofcourse if Randy Lee keeps finding "DEALS" for me, I may go back to kart racing :-) I figure the between my son and I getting into this from basicly zero since jan. 1, I have spent under $4500 for several guns, both flat and round, complete team blue reloading setup, new gun safe, and entry fees for 2. Next year the price will drop tremendously as the guns are already bought and then it'll be care and feeding of the local pistolsmith (Randy Lee- "Will gunsmith for food"), entry fees and travel, and ammo, plus any other little "toys" that HAVE to be bought.

Karting has it's different class structure like the here. There was the faster 2 cycle classes with the high end, high performance everything, clear down to the box stock Briggs & Stratton engines and spec tires. We have the same ideas in place here. Karting has it's Race Director (Match director) and Flagman (RO's). You have your racing suit (gun belt) and helmet (shooting glasses and hearing protection).

The rush I feel here is the same thing I had on 4 wheels, you know the butterflys while on deck, the nerves, pushing yourself to get just that little bit more out.

and 2nd place is still the first loser :-)

A coworker of mine is into Rotax Kart racing and we have had this conversation. There are intangible commonalities between the two much like the reasons that someone into martial arts, racing, or other mental/physical games would enjoy Brian’s book. There are also aspects of an equipment race but then there is a movement to even playing fields and test pure performance. The Rotax division, which does not allow modifications to the engine at all (the engines are actually sealed) is like their version of production.

A funny story is that this coworker found himself an online community much like ours that deals just with kart racing. He met people from our area and managed to run into PistolPete who used to post a lot on this forum. I guess Pete moved from shooting to karting and is an example of the connection.

My father drag races and collects cars. I actually like shooting for its dissimilarities to racing. For the price of a good set of heads you can get a top-notch gun. A shooting bag is easier to tote around than a trailer. Rain or shine I'm shooting. I'm the driver, mechanic, pit crew. You can hide a new gun in the safe from your wife easier than you can hide a new car in the garage (it can be done though).

Steve

One of my more embarrassing moments in life was asking a guy who raced the same circuit with us if he was into guns. (Fun Ford Events) There was a guy that was one of the big DOGS though the entire 90's racing one of the fastest Ford mustangs in the land. He had the best of everything and knew how to use it!!!!! At that time I had been out of shooting for about 5 years (1997) but still had some of my toys. Well one day I talking gun stuff while at a race and was ask what kind of 1911 I liked. I told them I liked my old Springfield and could not see spending the money on a Wilson. But I did say I would like to have Les Baer and about that time Les looked up from his car we were standing by and said no problem just send me the money and I can hook you up. It turned out that the Les Baer, who I watched all the time, was one in the same!!! He also could tell I had not clue of that!!!!!! I just held my head low and walked off!!!! By the way he was always a nice guy to us and a true Champion racer.