Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA Pro Match Ultra .40

6 hours ago, Stafford said:

Considering this (future purchase) as a Limited pistol. Looks budget friendly at under $900.

Any opinions on this pistol? Good choice? Issues?

Seems like a reasonable deal if you're looking for a 1911 style gun. 

If you're not stuck on 1911s, you might want to consider the CZ Tactical Sport.  It was designed from the start as a competition pistol by CZ.  Comes with 17-round mags that are easily upgradeable to 20, in .40

10 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Seems like a reasonable deal if you're looking for a 1911 style gun. 

If you're not stuck on 1911s, you might want to consider the CZ Tactical Sport.  It was designed from the start as a competition pistol by CZ.  Comes with 17-round mags that are easily upgradeable to 20, in .40

This is exactly where I ended up.  I had been shooting Prod with CZs and decided I wanted to give Limited a try so I bought a TS.  Then after a while of shooting it I was wondering what I was missing by not trying a 2011.  So I bought a used Edge and got it all setup.  Shot it in a couple matches and a few practice sessions.  Decided that for the price and how I shot the gun, I wasn't missing anything with the CZ.  Sold the Edge and haven't looked back.

Edited by aandabooks

I have one and it won’t run factory ammo that well (nose dives). Bought a MBX magazine and it over inserts badly and still nose dives, bought a Dawson Posi Lock mag release and now the MBX mag doesn’t over insert but still nose dives, but now the mag doesn’t drop free most of the time. My factory trigger sucks really heavy, the frame looks like someone made it with a hammer. If you buy one you will most likely need to send it to a gunsmith to get the bugs worked out of it. I have a Tanfoglio Elite Limited .40 it eats anything I put in it, I have been using it because I got tired of messing with the RIA. I need to send my RIA to a gunsmith but haven’t done it yet. 

OK, I’ve continued to read reviews on this pistol and it’s hit and miss. Some run factory ammo without issue and others favor longer loads. I don’t reload and don’t plan to. Some need polishing to get everything running smoothly. Mags can be an issue. 

Sounds like the Tangfolio may be a better option.

I would take a look at the Tanfoglio Limited or CZ Tactical Sport Orange. Tanfoglio Limited trigger isn’t that great out of the box unless you get the Extreme which is more money. A regular Limited Custom with a trigger job would still be cheaper than a CZ TSO if budget is a concern. 

3 hours ago, Steve-O said:

I would take a look at the Tanfoglio Limited or CZ Tactical Sport Orange. Tanfoglio Limited trigger isn’t that great out of the box unless you get the Extreme which is more money. A regular Limited Custom with a trigger job would still be cheaper than a CZ TSO if budget is a concern. 

I would not go to the TSO but just the TS.  The OP is asking about a RIA and the TSO would be close to a $900 jump vs a $400 jump to a TS.  The debate has been hashed through a bunch of times between the TSO vs. TS models.  I won't go back into that.  Either gun comes with a gun that is ready to go in Limited with 3 mags.  The OP will need some basepads and a holster to get going.  In my opinion, neither model needs trigger work so the money can be spent elsewhere.

• 10 months later...

Old thread, I know.  I just got one; haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, even.  But detail stripped and cleaned it, and it looks good!  Operation is very smooth, and the two magazns I have drop free.  Looking for an opportunity to get it out to the range.