Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Comp

srodriguez1101

Hello,

I have a new open gun and have never loaded 38 super comp. I presently have 3N37 powder, 124gr West Coast Bullets, Starline brass and Winchester small rifle primers.

The pistol I am loading for is a SV IMM 3 top port comp with two small side ports. All the load data I have seen is for hybrid IMM guns. Please help!

I need the load amount and OAL.

Thanks,

S. Rodriguez

post-5388-1126755967_thumb.jpg

BritinUSA,

Thank you very much!!!!!!!

I was looking on J. Mass website and noticed EriK Warren posted a load for 38 super.

3N37 (8.3gr), 124gr MG JHP, OAL 1.265, 1380 fps, 171.0pf, no hybrid, 5 port comp.

Being new to the game, my question how much diffrence is there between 38 super and super comp?

S. Rodriguez

I believe the internal case dimensions are the same, one has a rim, the other doesn't.

I could be mistaken but the internal volume of a supercomp case is slightly smaller. I have a new open gun coming and the smith recommended certain powders, a specific bullet and OAL. He recommended .2 to .3 grains less if I use supercomp instead of super.

al503,

Thanks for the info... I think I will start at 8.0gr and move up using BritinUSA advise to always work up the loads carefully and use a chrono to test.

Gives me more reason to go out and shoot.

Please if anyone has a similar gun please let me know what you are using.

Thanks,

S. Rodriguez

SuperComp is is supposed to have a little thicker web. So slightly less powder to make the same velocity. There are a lot of loads on Jeff's site, if you use them use it as a guidline, start low and work up using a Chronograph and checking for pressure signs.

I shoot SuperComp, My load is 125 JHP (Zero), OAL is 1.255, powder 9.2 V V 3N38, 168 PF. You may take a couple tenths less as mine has two barrel holes. I am also working up a load with 7625.

• 2 weeks later...

I reloaded 8.0 gr of 3N37 / 1.260 length / 124gr WestCoast Bullet. It felt ok but very dirty and lots of sparks out of the ports. Any suggestions?

Primers (WSR) are showing melting / hot spots where the pin hit.

If I add more powder will it make it worse?

Is there a big diffrence from 3N37 to 3n38?

Thanks for any help in advance.

:mellow:

Anybody have pressure/velocity problems with the West Coast bullets? I ran into troubles with slow velocity and high pressure signs with a known load, switched back to Zero bullets and pressure signs went away and velocity came up...

Edited by trickpony

I went outside and checked the bullets on the Dillon Eliminator scale and got multiple readings for 124gr.

124.0 to 125.6

Could this be the problem also...

If anyone else has experienced this what bullet is recomended?

thanks,

S. Rodriguez

Edited by srodriguez1101

Try some Montana Gold, Montana Gold Bullet Co.

You will want the CMJ (Complete Metal Jacket ie. no exposed base).

If there are signs of high pressure then check the following in this order.

1. Wrong bullet diameter (you want .355 not .356)

2. Too much crimp ? I have about .380 at the case mouth.

3. Short firing pin, with the hammer down the firing pin should be level with the breach-face.

Someone else may chime in with some things that I may have forgotten...

What velocity did you get with 8.0 grains (about 1200-1250 I am guessing)

• 4 weeks later...

get a long firing pin.

how fast did the load chrono?

also switch to federal 200s they seem to be good for 20-30 fps over WSR and they dont seem to have the same problems with primer flow.

this is from my gun with 4port hybrid and up to 185 power factor super comp loads.

Is there a big diffrence from 3N37 to 3n38?

3N38 is slower than 3N37 - by a fair amount.This means two things - more powder (by weight) to make major, but possibly a milder pressure curve. N350 is right in between the two, and is another choice to consider.

I've never loaded plated bullets before - my understanding, though, is that they tend to deform a little more than jacketed bullets, and hence seal the bore better, much like a lead bullet. This may mean that it will take less powder than a jacketed bullet to make major with the WCP bullets. Most folks run a jacketed bullet - they seem to be a little sturdier at major velocities.

The comments about checking your firing pin length are something to consider. Also, look at the shoulder of the primers. If you're using WSR primers, it might be normal to see a slight flattening at the shoulder, but if it looks like what's called primer flow - where it looks like the primer was melted and poured in, you might have some pressure issues.... It's hard to really judge pressure by the state of the primer, but some things are kind of good clues :)