Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Gadget...........

Richard Jones

Just became the proud owner of a Tormek sharpening system. I have been fiddling with sharpening knives, chisels, plane blades, etc, for over 30 years and have used stones, oil, water, man-made, natural, silicone paper, ceramic, diamond, etc. I think I have pretty much run the gamut of sharpening stuff.

This thing I got will take a 50 year old wood chisel and shave the hair off your forearm. It is unbelievably easy to use, and will sharpen knives, scissors, chisels, axes, etc.

Where have you been all my life? Cheap it ain't, but neither is a good gun.

Rich (now happy in his little sharpening world) in VA

Ohhhhh....drooooollllll.... :D

I have lust in my heart for one of those. And a lot of dull-ish chisles that wish I would break down and get one.

I have a Lansky for knives so I don't lack sharp knives but chisles, planer blades.... :(

Damn and I though my Edge Pro sharpening system was expensive.

Edge Pro makes the best manual sharpener, but you have to tape up the blades if you don't want them scratch.

The next best is the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker. Very easy to use and much better than Lansky or any of the other clamp sharpeners.

I didn't like my Lansky or another clamp style sharpener, they sucked big time. Was going to get the Sharpmaker, but ended up with the Edge Pro. But if I was going to spend under $100 definitely the Sharpmaker.

I have sharpen way too many things in my life. Belt sanders work really well for sharpening. I sharpened a putty knife once, it was sharp enough to shave with. Always push chisels away from you and any body parts. One time, I just sharpened a 1/2" chisel, hair shaving sharp. One hand was holding a part and the other hand was using a chisel. Chisel hand slipped and had to get stitches. Luckily the bone stop it from going through. First thing the doc asked was "Half inch chisel?" He was impressed with the clean cut.

Never had a problem with my Lansky but there are certainly better units out there...the Tormek being one.

The biggest failing of the Lansky and other clamp type sharpeners is that they don't handle blades longer than 4 inches very well. You have to sharpen half, move the clamp, sharpen the other half. It blows.

I don't believe there is one solution that is idea for all things that need sharpening although the Tormek comes darn close.

At the cost of planer blades and such a Tormek still would take awhile to pay off but never dealing with planer blades that are "oh, sharp enough for this job, I guess" would be wonderful. The guy that was sharpening my planer knives for me got laid off from the mill and has moved so I will have to either buy another tool :D or start shipping my stuff off. :(

There are few feelings finer than the feel of a sharp tool moving through wood.

Scooter: I did pretty much the same thing with a 3/4" chisel. I had just honed it to the point of splitting atoms and without thinking waved my left hand too close to the end of the chisel. Cut was so clean (across three fingers) and not that deep so a bit of neosporin and band-aids and it was healed in about 3 days. Didn't even scar.

In wood shop in Jr. High the shop teacher had just sharpened up a chisel and the class doofus managed to put it all the way through his hand. This was back when they let kids do wood shop and have things sharper than sandpaper.

Hmmm..   

Since Richard is a roud new pappa and I always am willing to help a fellow shootrer/woodworkers addiction...  Maybe we can all just send our dull, nicked, wornout tolls to Richard to sharpen for us on his new snazzy Tomak.

:lol:

I do admit to spending quite a bit of time sharpening old, worthless stuff, 'cause it's so cool!!!

Rich (send 'em on) in VA