Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not sure how to start this but I often looked for Hispanic shooters when I go to matches.  I would like to see more Hispanics in a competive firearm sport.  I know ecomics and lifestyleshave alot to do with this.

USPSA,  has done alot  to increase membership  they have had to address the equip. race which they done a great job of doing so.   But what about  trying to reach a group of shooters who will never be taken seriously because of sterotyping.

I really see it diffucult for USPSA to increase it membership in the coming years.

Regard of a shooters race,  responible individuals need to be associated with this sport.

Unfortunately I myself know all to well this may never happen.

This is a huge issue, but needs to be approached diplomatically - I fear media backlash. Some regions seem to be naturally cosmopolitan. When I was at a match with ShooterGrrl in Kalifornia, I was really impressed by mix of shooters there.

I guess we have to find a way to let people know they're welcome without engaging in shamless pandering. What about featuring the minority role models we have in nice, glossy advertising?

E

Dave,

Maybe a good place to look for potential shooters would be with a local businessmens alliance.  I don't have first hand experience in this area but I have heard of minority businessmens groups and it seems like they would probably have the financial means to become competitors.  Maybe a good angle to take would be to find some older kids (boyscouts?) who have an interest in shooting but no money.  Take the kids around to the business owners seeking support.  Just a thought.

-jhgtyre

David, good question.   Maybe I didnt make it clear.  I suppose I myself wouldnt want to see Latios, with a gang appreance shooting IPSC matches.    But I would like to see Latios who are responbile citizens and gun owners shooting matches.

But should a appreance suggest that a person is not responbile.    I guess USPSA could say no gang looking clothes be not permitted same as the "camo look" is not permitted.    

Not that I care who or what shoots as long as they are safe but when I have shot in FL there are a lot of Latino's. I am sure it is the same way in CA. Truth is the Latin population is concentrated there.

In fact Jojo V is a very competent GM. So is KC. I could probably name 10 GM/M's easily, much less more in other classes. I would like to attract all shooters. Ask a friend to shoot.

Bill,

You're just going to have to be more carefull when you lable folks.  If an ancient Spanish explorer drops his seed in the Americas he creates an Hispanic, if he drops his seed in the P.I. you have something else entirely.  The labling of people is best left to the experts.

Regards

David Benzick (European Mutt)  

Ok

As I said I don't care what you are or what they are. I made an assumption that I feel doesn't matter. No disrespect intended.

I'll let you in on something. I fit the "label" of one of the groups listed. I really get tired of why people feel this is important.

Jojo will kick your butt no matter where he is from. I would like to see more Latino, Asian-American, European, PI's, and like me, American shooters.

Ask a friend shooting. I think that is the answer.

I thought the thread was about getting more minorities into shooting. Around here, that would be anyone who isn't a balding, middle age, slightly overweight, WASP.  

Last night's edition of "The Shield" on the boob tube sure doesn't help the cause.

• 1 month later...

This is something I have never been able to figure out: why are there so few blacks shooting USPSA/IPSC? Or IDPA either, for that matter. Perhaps this is only my own experience, but in all the matches I've shot I've seen exactly ONE black competitor. He's one of our local SWAT cops here in Washington state. When I attended the NTI back in '95, one of the ROs was a black man, cocked and locked .45 holstered and ready. I was struck, and please don't take this wrong, by just how unusual a sight that was.

I've posed this question to people over the years, and no one has a good answer. The best I've gotten, such as it is, was, "Well, shooting has an image of being a redneck activity, and maybe black guys aren't sure they'd be welcome. I mean you don't see many black tennis players or golfers either, do you." Arthur Ashe and Tiger Woods notwithstanding. But that doesn't wash with me, either. Tennis and golf aren't undertakings that practice a potentially life saving skill. Any thoughts?

Ive tried to think about this before and Ive just given up on it.    But in Washington I just dont think you have the number of miniorities like we do here in S.Ca.  If people here are having a hard time of getting by,  let alone spending extra cash on a foolish sport as viewed by many I dont think you'll find the average miniority participating in this sport.