Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To Idpa, Need Help

GBTX01

I have recently moved to a new town. In the past the only competitions that I have shot have been local 3-gun and F-class matches. Unfortunately, my new town has neither close by. I have been invited to go shoot a local IDPA match. I downloaded the IDPA rule book but I'm not sure what catagory I'd fall into. I really don't care how well I shoot against everyone as I'm out to shoot against myself until I get the hang of the game.

This is my current line-up

Option #1

- Loaded Springfield 1911 Operator w/ full light rail and beveled magwell

- 8 and 10rd mags

- Blade-tech paddle holster

- Blade-tech 4 quad mag holder

- Fobus 2 mag paddle holster

Option #2

- G21 w/ 3.5lbs trigger

- 10 and 13rd mags

- Blade-tech paddle holster

- Fobus 2 mag paddle holser

Would either of these options work? I'd hate to get there and findout that I can't shoot because I have the wrong gear. I already have been unable to shoot competitively for the past 6 months do to working on the weekends so now that my schedule has changed I'd like to make up for lost time. Would either set-up work for IPSC? Thanks for your help.

Ian

Hi There,

Option 2 is quite legal. Downloaded to 8 or 10 rounds depending on division of course.

Option 1 with the paddle mag pouch instead of the quad pouch should be legal. I really do not know the particulars on the light rail on that gun, if it is a full length dust cover or not. also, the 10 round mags are too long and will not fit in the box so you'd have to stick with the 8 rounders.

Ted

NO mags loaded to more than 10 rds for any division

For IDPA

Option 1 is NOT Legal. Springfield gives the weight as 42 oz. Don't know if this includes a mag, but IDPA rules are that it must weigh <41 OZ WITH a mag, so this thing is too heavy. See page 23 of the book

Option 2 might play in all three divisions, but you must load 7 or 8 rds in CDP.

For USPSA:

Option 1 - Lim10 (you'll need at least 4 mags, 6 would be better), or the new single stack division (though I might be wrong here) [Oh yea, thanks Chucks - can't shoot my Kimber TLE/RL either, Duh]

Option 2 - Production, though again, the others will be shooting lighter loads (please refine, USPSA range lawyers)

Edited by Gun Geek