Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic For 25-2

underlug

What is necessary to change the front sight to a fiber optic on a 25-2 (6 1/2" barrel)? I know the sight is pinned, but, its location is different from the more modern guns. Will the SDM pinned front sight work? Will I have to change the rear to a higher sight, and, if so, which height and where is the best place to get it? Thank you in advance.

Underlug, I changed my front site on my 625-4. My front site was also pinned. I had to take a little off the sides and bottom to make it fit and then had to drill the hole in the new site. I don't know what optic I got, you know me I never pay attention to the details. :blink: It is not to hard just finding the drill bit that is small enough. Hopefully it is the same for the 25-2. rdd

Underlug,  I changed my front site on my 625-4.  My front site was also pinned.  I had to take a little off the sides and bottom to make it fit and then had to drill the hole in the new site.  I don't know what optic I got, you know me I never pay attention to the details.  :blink:  It is not to hard just finding the drill bit that is small enough.  Hopefully it is the same for the 25-2.  rdd

The pin is different on the older gun, Bubber. I didn't even know it was there. I looked at the SDM site, and there are a couple of different types, pinned and spring. The spring is for the new guns (like my Randy Lee 627 :)....I have also heard that if you go SDM, it is better to have a higher rear sight, which may be a whole nother problem with an older gun. I have seen people write about their 25-2s here and wonder if someone had already done this drill. Good to hear from you. Have you shot up that target stand yet?

On my 627 8 shot I installed a 6in bbl. from a Mo. 28. It had the "I cant see the Pin" pin on the front sight. I had a Heinie dovetail front sight milled into the front sight ramp area, then thinned and a FO installed. Mark at Pinnacle did it. It is the Sh$T! I will be having one put on my 25-2 as well! DougC

I installed a Weigand interchangeable base on my beat up old '25, too. While I tend to prefer the fit and finish of the old guns (and the "no stupid lock" sideplate <_< ), the new style front sights are much nicer to my broken old eyes.

Alex

I installed a Weigand interchangeable base on my beat up old '25, too.  While I tend to prefer the fit and finish of the old guns (and the "no stupid lock" sideplate  <_< ), the new style front sights are much nicer to my broken old eyes.

Alex

Does the Weigand product still exist? I cannot find it anywhere

Does the Weigand product still exist? I cannot find it anywhere

Jon, the Weigand sight is still available, but you need to have a vertical mill to install it. Angie "the sight man" lives about 1/4 mile from my house, he has done two of these for me. Excellent work and reasonable price, about $90 including the part and sight blade. I would also suggest that you install Jack's rear sight as well. It replaces the S&W rear sight leaf and makes it look similar to Bomars.

I can also modify your existing front sight to a F.O. call me for more specifics.

Are you going to be at Renton this month? It's a slot match.

Call me or email and we can talk more.

Roger

Weigand stuff is generally good, but think hard before going with the Weigand rear sight blade. It is aluminum, and so will eventually turn partially silver with use and cannot be cold-blued. It also will wobble up and down noticeably when installed, which is not what a rear sight is supposed to do in my book.

If he made it out of steel, and tightened up the tolerances so it would fit nice and tight, I might be more impressed. In the meantime, the Millett rear sight remains state of the art for S&W revos. At least for now.

Mike

• 2 months later...