Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Saftey

jed

I know primers are dangerous, but when you load only 45 ACP and have ten or so primers left over, do you leave them in feeder or work them out? Also, do you load your pickup tubes in advance and store them for later use [being careful of course].

It all depends if you have kids or the unwary that will be around your equipment. I have no such issues, so I leave my primers in all the time. If I had little ones, I would remove all primers and secure them, without question.

I know primers are dangerous, but when you load only 45 ACP and have ten or so primers left over, do you leave them in feeder or work them out?  Also, do you load your pickup tubes in advance and store them for later use [being careful of course].

Yes I leave primers, and powder, and cases, etc in my press. But, I don't have to worry about little hands messing with things.

No I don't load primers tubes and leave them setting around. Primers in tubes can be a little touchy. I did load 3 or 4 tubes at the start of a session and have them hanging on the peg board behind the press. Since I got an RF100 as a gift, I never load more than one tube ever.

I have no worries about extra hands messing with my stuff. I leave the primers loaded up and ready to go.

Powder...I like to put it back into the canister. If you leave it out, it may soak up the humidity in the air. Could be an issue that gives varying results.

I have 2 little boys. Little hands can cause huge problems. All of my components are locked up as is anything else of value. I bought one of the big blue machine covers for my press. The cover works great for keeping their hands off of the handle when not in use. and protects the primers that are left in the machine.