Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smoothing A Trigger Face And Edges

chp5

My second “how to” revolver question :ph34r: I may just have to bust out my S&W model 19 for a match sometime and let the good revolver shooters use me as a door mat :blink:

Anyway, I picked up an old S&W model 37. I really like this little revolver! However, the trigger is serrated and sharp on the edges. After a little dry fire, I got a blister on my trigger finger.

Is there an easy way to smooth out the trigger face and edges with my trusty Dremel?

Also, is taking the side plate off a J frame the same as a K frame?

Thanks!

Cy

Yep, use a dremel or foredom tool, start with the little sanding drum to shape and smooth it, switch to the cratex tip to rough-polish it, then finish polishing it by hand with fine sandpaper and steel wool. If you want a high polish result, buff it with Flitz.

That's it.

Same routine with the sideplate. You'll need a paper clip or something similar to retain the coil mainspring before you can take it the rest of the way apart.

SW triggers are case hardened.  You will likely wear out a set of files trying to smooth the serrations off a trigger

Bounty, that's why we use the dremel tool for this task! Dremels are not for internal action work (except for certain limited tasks in knowledgeable hands), but they are the only way to fly for reshaping triggers and hammers. A sanding drum on a dremel will buzz those serrations away in no time flat. I've done dozens that way.