Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please critique and finish my 16" build

TommyTwoTone

Building my first all-around AR15.  I'm going for a mid to lightweight rifle.  Something that is nimble enough to shoot on the move within 25Y while having competent accuracy out to 100Y.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Lower/Upper & Handguard (Already purchased) - Aero Precision M4E1 (5.56) Matched Upper/Lower Combo & Aero Precision Atlas S-One 15"
Lower Parts Kit - Probably Sionics
BCG - Toolcraft Nickel Boron
Charging Handle - Radian Raptor LT
Muzzle Device - Seekins ATC
Buffer Tube - BCM Intermediate A5
Spring/Buffer - Vltor rifle length spring and H2 buffer kit
Stock - MFT Minimalist.  I have it on another rifle and I like it.
Optic Mount - Thinking Aero Precision Ultralight SPR for weight considerations.
Gas Tube/Gas Block - TBD after barrel order is placed.  Since I don't plan to run suppressed I'll likely go non-adjustable.
Trigger - Haven't decided yet but will have street sprice below $200 (sorry Geissele).  Thinking Larue MBT-2S or Wilson Combat 3-Gun Tactical Trigger Unit.  No experience with either but heard good things.

A lot of these things are personal preference but I would really like to hear praise and criticisms if you have experience with anything listed here.

In addition, I've been to the moon and back on barrels.  I could use the most help here.  Here's what's left on my short list:

Black River Tactical Optimum Light 5.56 (CMV 4150 w/ a 1:8 twist nitride barrel, 24 oz) - Comes with a factory pinned intermediate length gas system and 0.625" gas journal.
Criterion/ADM 16" Lightweight Contour .223 Wylde (CMV 4150 w/ 1:8 twist nitride barrel, 24 oz) - Midlength gas system and 0.750" gas journal.
Criterion/Midwest MI-C16H223 16-inch Hybrid Profile .223 Wylde AR Barrel (CMV 4150 w/ a 1:8 twist Chrome-Lined barrel, 27 oz) - Midlength gas system and 0.625" gas journal.
Rainier Arms Match .223 Wylde Rifle Barrel Lightweight (Stainless 416R w/ a 1:8 twist nitride barrel, 27 oz) - Midlength gas system and 0.625" gas journal.
Larue PredatAR 16" .223 Wylde (Stainless w/ a 1:8 twist nitride barrel, 27 oz) - Midlength gas system and 0.625" gas journal.

All are under 28 ounces and $300, which is where I'm comfortable being.  I'm not a high volume shooter so I don't know if I should just avoid chrome-lined entirely.  I'm also not sure if I should stick to 4150 in these lightweight profiles.  I could see the stainless barrels getting pretty whippy with quick follow-up shots.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

TTT 

This is just an opinion of ONE but for a gaming stick, I'd go lightweight BCG, lightweight or gutted buffer, and use an adjustable gas block. It's seriously like shooting an air gun. 

I have both of your preferred triggers and of the two, I like the Wilson for obvious reasons. The break is roughly ~3.5# and reset is lightning fast. Double taps are easy. 

Here’s me running the Wilson. It’s fast. 

Edited by 021411
Vid link

2 hours ago, 021411 said:

This is just an opinion of ONE but for a gaming stick, I'd go lightweight BCG, lightweight or gutted buffer, and use an adjustable gas block. It's seriously like shooting an air gun. 

I have both of your preferred triggers and of the two, I like the Wilson for obvious reasons. The break is roughly ~3.5# and reset is lightning fast. Double taps are easy. 

Lightweight BCG will be an upgrade down the road.  They'd be 2-3x what I'd pay for a Toolcraft.

Regarding the Wilson TTU, did you try the single stage vs the 3G?  They advertise the 3G as a two stage but I heard just like you said that double taps are fast and easy.

6 minutes ago, TommyTwoTone said:

Lightweight BCG will be an upgrade down the road.  They'd be 2-3x what I'd pay for a Toolcraft.

Regarding the Wilson TTU, did you try the single stage vs the 3G?  They advertise the 3G as a two stage but I heard just like you said that double taps are fast and easy.

I’ve used AIM’s and Brownells LW BCG with preference to the Brownells. It’s 8.2 oz complete on my scale. They are about $100 and work just fine. No issue thus far. Does what it’s supposed to do. 

The Wilson 3G is far from a 2 stage. If they consider some very teeny tiny pretravel as the first stage they are crazy. It’s not something you roll into and go there’s the first stage. And now I’m at the wall. 

37 minutes ago, TommyTwoTone said:

I think a lot of folks are switching away from the G2S & SSA's for the Larue and not just because of price.  I'm leaning towards the Wilson honestly.

Honesty I’ve moved away from G entirely. Timely CE and Hiperfire for me with a LANTAC CMC I bought on sale for $80. I do like the LaRues a lot. They have a flat boi now that really has my attention. You can’t go wrong with Wilson!

I'd do an adjustable gas block even if you don't want to mess with it. The new Aero Atlas handguard is a breeze to take on and off for adjustments and you can get the gas block in the ballpark pretty easily, just observe where the gun is throwing brass. 

Trigger Tech fixed AR trigger is awfully nice 2-stage. I have had several others, have a single stage Velocity on another gun, I don't see how a two stage hurts you when you're pulling it quickly anyway. I definitely helps you with longer shots. 

I've had very good luck with Criterion barrels and the ones I've had needed to be tapped into the Aero receiver even after heating the upper and freezing the barrel. No wiggle. I would like to try a Faxon 5R as well. Fluted would be nice.

JP Silent Spring fan here. 

Be sure to get the latest Aero receiver with the built in handguard, it is really nice. 

+1 on the Aero Atlas S-One handguards. I REALLY like how the mid section is super skinny. Installation is a breeze as well. I just built a gaming SBR with one.

I suggest you also check out the Warne XSKEL scope mounts. They are lightweight and robust. It has been said that the Aero mounts based on how the rings clamp together can possibly loosen thus possibly losing zero when the scope gets banged on taking a hard dump in a barrel. Is there proof of this actually happening in the wild? No idea but it's been mentioned.

What type of competition will you be doing? I'm assuming 3 gun. Don't worry about stainless barrels and barrel whip. It's a non-issue. Remember, paper targets are either one hit on the A zone and move on or "any two will do" on the target as long as the shots are within the Delta ring. 

On 5/16/2019 at 5:53 PM, 021411 said:

I’ve used AIM’s and Brownells LW BCG with preference to the Brownells. It’s 8.2 oz complete on my scale. They are about $100 and work just fine. No issue thus far. Does what it’s supposed to do. 

I've had my nickel boron Brownells light weight BCG since they came out, and I love it.  8.2 ounces and it cleans so fast.  $110?  It's a no brainer, you'll be very happy with it.

You said all around AR15, is this for competition at all?

If so, I'd absolutely get that BCG and an adjustable gas block.  Again, I'll highly recommend the JP Silent Capture Spring (you don't need to buy the additional spring kit).

Here's my new light and nimble build for bay matches that don't require super long range. Carbine length gas systems are known to be harsh compared to mid/int/rifle but with proper tuning you can get them to shoot really soft. Trust me, it's far from a macho thing. There's nothing to prove when it comes to gaming. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

Obviously the brake has a lot to do with the recoil but because of the lightweight buffer, lightweight BCG, and adjustable gas block, I barely feel a "thump" on my shoulder.

Here's my new light and nimble build for bay matches that don't require super long range. Carbine length gas systems are known to be harsh compared to mid/int/rifle but with proper tuning you can get them to shoot really soft. Trust me, it's far from a macho thing. There's nothing to prove when it comes to gaming. Just wanted to get that out of the way.
Obviously the brake has a lot to do with the recoil but because of the lightweight buffer, lightweight BCG, and adjustable gas block, I barely feel a "thump" on my shoulder.

What trigger are you using in that video?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

You said all around AR15, is this for competition at all?

Not for competition. There's some federal land nearby where I can set up my own course with steel poppers and plates . Then I also have a local range with 100Y range and bay rentals.

1 minute ago, TommyTwoTone said:

We'll that confirms my trigger choice! Now I just need to find a good sale price.

Do you use anti rotation pins? Supposedly you don't need them with the Wilson triggers.

Don't need them. The trigger pack has springs at the bottom that push against the pins. Never had any walk on me. With that said, I never had any trigger pins walk on me on any AR.

• 2 weeks later...