Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make Ready Podcast with CHA-LEE

CHA-LEE

• 2 weeks later...

Great listen! I’m new to the sport and absorbing all the info I can. I just ordered your book last week, and I’m eagerly awaiting its arrival. :)

Quick question on your philosophy with mikes in training... You say in the podcast that there needs to be a tangible consequence for missing. Is this a hard and fast rule you apply regardless of your training goals?

Steve Anderson suggests that calling a miss is acceptable when working in “speed mode” when your primary goal is to go faster.

It seems like never allowing yourself a miss might prevent one from pushing their limits for fear of missing? How does one know their limit if they don’t cross the line?

Hoping you would elaborate a bit on your philosophy. Thanks!

23 hours ago, MiWiAu said:

Great listen! I’m new to the sport and absorbing all the info I can. I just ordered your book last week, and I’m eagerly awaiting its arrival. :)

Quick question on your philosophy with mikes in training... You say in the podcast that there needs to be a tangible consequence for missing. Is this a hard and fast rule you apply regardless of your training goals?

Steve Anderson suggests that calling a miss is acceptable when working in “speed mode” when your primary goal is to go faster.

It seems like never allowing yourself a miss might prevent one from pushing their limits for fear of missing? How does one know their limit if they don’t cross the line?

Hoping you would elaborate a bit on your philosophy. Thanks!

Punishing yourself by having misses or other failures should only apply to when you are practicing in a "Match Mode" where you are trying to replicate a solid performance that would be deployed in a match. When you are in "Training Mode" and trying to figure out the limits of things, failures absolutely need to happen because you need to push your skills to the limit and beyond to find where the limit it or push past your current limit. You shouldn't punish yourself for making mistakes in that scenario as that is the only way you can give yourself the latitude to explore performance beyond your current limits.

That being said, in our own training we need to work on both "Training Mode" and "Match Mode". Failing in "Match Mode" is where the tangible consequences need to be applied. Tangible consequences need to be assessed to ANYTHING you continually fail at performing, not just misses. The example of using misses as the failure to punish is just simple for people to understand and can correlate with. There were plenty of other non-shooting failures that cost me $5 each time I failed to perform them when practicing in "Match Mode".

Punishing yourself by having misses or other failures should only apply to when you are practicing in a "Match Mode" where you are trying to replicate a solid performance that would be deployed in a match.

Thanks for clarifying, Charlie! This makes a lot of sense. Also, good point about tangible punishment for failures other than misses. Much appreciated!

P.S. Your book showed up yesterday. Great read! Almost done with my first pass through. This will be a great reference and training tool moving forward. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhat new to the sport so the podcast was the first time I have exposure to you.  Really enjoyed it and hope to hear you more in other podcasts.  Starting looking for your other stuff and your transitions drill on Youtube was excellent and tried that this past weekend. I hope to see more of your content, and having once lived in Colorado, would love to get out to one of your classes.  Thanks for posting your info.